System writer file not found.

StiffBoard

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Getting these on several Machines

ANS4251W System Writer file '\\servername\c$\program files (x86)\vsireportservice\vsireportservice.exe': not found.
ANS4251W System Writer file '\\servername\c$\Windows\inf\oem7.inf': not found.

Where are these referenced? Files don't exist and I can't find where these files are listed and how to get rid of this.

SKIPMISSINGSYSWFILES YES in dsm.opt doesn't make any difference.

Would be nice to not have any Warnings in reports, seems like that will never happen...:(

Job is reported successful but Operations Center shows Warnings for skipped files.

Ah, sorry, rembember now that I saw that post earlier. Have also checked that MS document but searching registry there are no references to the files.

There's another workaround that you can use at your own risk and perils.

If you are absolutely sure you do not care that the file is missing, and are well aware that this file will not be available for restore if you need to restore the systemstate. You could create an empty text file, in the path listed with the same file name as in the error. The file will still be missing, but you won't receive any warnings because there's another file with the same name in it's place.

My recommendation would still be to fix the issue instead. Contact Microsoft or the software vendor for: c$\program files (x86)\vsireportservice\vsireportservice.exe to have the issue resolved.

I actually just made a couple of dummy files. Vendor for vsireportservice.exe have a new installation in place and the executeble name is changed, not much to do about that. Other oem.inf files in directory seems to be made by VMTools installation, can't really install an old version to get that recreated. I'll just leave it with dummy files. But where does the reference come from? Guess I'll live with the dummy solution then. Thanks.

Not sure where Windows stores that info. You can see it when you query the system writer metadata. So the question is "Where does Windows store the System Writer Metadata?". I don't know the answer to that.

Back