system image restore not boot

oliverboy

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I want to restore a physical machine on a other identical machine

I boot on a VistaPE bootCD with TSM 5.5.2 install.
In command line I perform a image retore with this command

"restore image \\nodeinfo\c$ c: -noprompt -deletefiles -incremental"

I resive this message after the confirmation of command

ANS1996W the volume mount points enumeration on 'X:\' volume failed. Windows system error code: 3; reason: 'The system cannot find the path specified.'.

the restore is starting.

When I reboot the machine it stay on a black screen with a flashing cursor.

I have try to boot on Windows 2003 CD to go's in console mode to do a fixmbr. No good result, the cursor and the black screen have not change.

Any one can help me to resolve this problem?

it's a CD with a Vista lite installation you can boot on all machine and you can fix some problem. It's like BartPe or WinPE

I have fund a methode to boot on cd without the ANS1996W error.

But when I reboot the OS is not starting. There is no message like "system not found" the cursor is just flashing.

Sorry to post comercial info.

check TBMR from cristie they use windows pe to do this.

thank for reply, but cristie TBMR is too expensive for us. Almost 800$ per server.

I want a solution with lost cost.

I don't want to argue but check the pricing with cristie or your IBM rep, 800 USD sounds
a little bit high :)

I do agree with you

If you have the time. IBM has written a pretty good guide for doing Bare metal restores (BMR) naturally you need very similar hardware
Perform a google search on

Code:
Tivoli Storage Manager Recovery Techniques
Using Windows Pre-installation Environment
(Windows PE)

I have got this to work in a test environment using exact same hardware.

thanks for the link,
but it's with this document I try to do my restore and it's not working.

In VMware I have fund a other solution and It's work well. But with a physical serveur I can't do that because de hardware configuration.

The solution I have try in the IBM document is with the network share. That work without error but when I reboot it's there I have my trouble.
It's look like no OS on the disk but it not telling me "no OS found". I have try the fixmbr, fixboot. Nothing work...

I'm in cloud...

You might want to check out the -asrmode flag for dsmc as well.

Hi Oliverboy,

I have the same issue at the moment and I was wondering how you made it work in VMWare?

Thanks!

Hi Xeroid,

In VMWare, it's work only for windows VM.
You have to build a Windows VM with OS install on a driver with assigned letter like H:, install TSM client version supporting all version of your windows VM and make a template.

When you want to restore, you have juste to deploy a tamplate connecte new disk with good size, boot, initialise new disk, active disk for the OS and restore.

have fun.
If you have more question, I'm gona happy to answer you.

Oliverboy

Back