SysBack and TSM best practices

Slusarski

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
SysBack and TSM Best practices.
Hi everyone !
I have two AIX 5.4. My firm bought TSM and SysBack licenses. I wonder how to implement TSM and SysBack on the client machines.
Register TSM node name and SysBack as the same node but different politics (to rootvg and files) set to different MGMTClass by include/exclude or register two different nodes one for bootable backup of rootvg (from Sysback) and on for incremental backups of files ( from TSM client) ?
I will do incremental backups of files daily and SysBack monthly.

What is the best solution to make a scheduled SysBack commands managed from TSM server ? If I make shell script in AIX client with SysBack commands Will I be able to monitor status of SysBack backups from TSM command q event ?
What is the best solution to deploy TSM with Sysback ?

Thanks
Marek

I preffered 2 stg, 2 domain and 4 different nodename for two aix box... Sysback monthly is enough but if you upgrade your os or appl often use sysback after that upgrades.

Smit is nice tool to configure and schedule sysback backups, it creates a crontab entry and if you want to monitor it on tsm use that script (copy it from crontab) and add to your client schedules...

Hi all,

does any body have any idea about Web-based System Manager or SMIT Backups?

tsm for sysback uses smit to backup for mksysb backups (or lv based- fs based etc.) and also you can schedule it from smit... easy to use... what do you want to know about smit backups?

nezih,

Thanks a lot...

How to configure SMIT backups?
which is the best way of SMIT backups?
Is there any document on this?

Thanks in advance

You want to two clients: one for the regular TSM client and one for the sysback client.

A sysback backup of the rootvg to TSM can't be used to restore the AIX system. It impossible to make that backup bootable. It is document somewhere in the sysback manual.
I perform a sysback backup of rootvg to a directory (which creates several files) and then backup that these files using the TSM client.

Regards. Wim.

Back