Suggestion Needed .

tsmbuddy

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello Team ,

Please share your thoughts , we have two datacenters where the TSM client backup destination is Datadomain . Replication is enabled between the Data center . We have a requirement as one of the fileserver client in DC2 needs to monthly offsite backup which needs to be in Tape , Here in DC2 doesn't have tape library but in DC1 we have the tape library . so how can we generate offsite backup for the fileserver client .
Note: The daily backup should not cross the firewall of the DC's .

Thanks

Do you have a TSM Server in each data center?
If so, are TSM Servers setup for server-to-server communication?

To follow up marclant's question:

What is replicating? Data Domain appliances?

If there is NO TSM server-to-server communication setup, then it would be hard for you to send the data from the client on DC2 to DC1.

Hello
We have the TSM servers with the destination pool build with VTL's from emc dd , and Data replicating between the Datadomains for DR purpose .We don't have server to server communication .

Thanks

tsmbuddy

Hello
We have the TSM servers with the destination pool build with VTL's from emc dd , and Data replicating between the Datadomains for DR purpose .We don't have server to server communication .

Thanks

tsmbuddy

Then it would be hard to get the data from A to B for VTL storage without server-to-server communication which I already mentioned.

Can we do some thing out of replicated data from the Data domains
I mean can we able to fetch the data from replication .

Yes, you can but this involves a rather complicated process. It gets complicated from the fact that you don't allow the backup data to traverse the WAN. The complication is that you may need to stand up another TSM server to get node data from A to B using replicated data (TSM DB and NODE).

This is why:

First of all, the node on A is not known to B. There is replicated data on B - the question is: how to get it to B? To get it to B, you need to have the entry of the TSM database of A loaded into B. But that cannot be done as loading the TSM DB on B from A destroys TSM B.

The best bet is provide server-to-server communication.

Thanks for your suggestion , Let us concentrate on server to server communication

You could:
  • On your DD setup a MTREE replication pair replicating from DC2 to DC1
  • run an image backup of your fileserver
  • place the image file/backup in the MTREE in DC2
  • in DC1 configure a TSM client to backup the destination MTREE

Hi Droach ,

thanks for you reply , still I didn't understand clearly what is the node use for B/A client in DC1..

is it any server we can use on DC1 , how does the data replicated Mtree DC1 accessed in the B/A client .

do we need a physical machine or an VM similar to DC2 B/A client .

You could just share out the MTREE on the network in Dc1 and configure a TSM client for backing up a network share. I would just add the MTREE (fileshare) backup to an existing TSM client.

can we able to backup fileshare using tsm b/a client or do we need to backup like nas backup ?

You can use a BA client. Create a separate scheduler for the client and run the scheduler service under an account that has access to the DD fileshare. Local accounts are ok, just need to use the same account/password on the client and the DD fileshare. In the client's dsm.opt file for the separate scheduler set the domain to point to the network path.

You could:
  • On your DD setup a MTREE replication pair replicating from DC2 to DC1
  • run an image backup of your fileserver
  • place the image file/backup in the MTREE in DC2
  • in DC1 configure a TSM client to backup the destination MTREE

The issue here: can data be restored on the original?

If I remember correctly, we tried this approach and nothing can be restored as the 'copy' is not known to the source.

Granted I am making a lot of assumptions here, but if the fileserver is a Windows server you can just use Windows backup. Park the image in DC2, replicate to DC1, back up the image with a TSM client just to get it on tape. To restore the system would require a restore of the image first, then Windows Restore from that image.

I never said it was pretty :)

Hi Droach ,

Do we need to take a image or the image backup of the fileserver to the DC2 MTREE then replicate to DC1 then we need to do a normal B/A client backup , Would you clarify is it TSM image backup or file level backup .

We would like to perform the Offsite backup using backupset finally .

Back