Lion

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi TSM Community,

I have:
TSM 7.1
IBM TS2900
7 cartridge for 7 days in week

My question is, how do I backup my data into separate cartridge day by day, then after backup I will remove cartridge to another place.
What can I do for Pool, for schedule, and daily operation?

Any advice is welcome!
Thanks for support!

Checkout the tape/s that were used for the previous backup day.

You can identify it by the 'mountable' label when you do a 'q drm' (I am assuming you are using the DRM module)

Last edited:
Checkout the tape/s that were used for the previous backup day.

You can identify it by the 'mountable' label when you do a 'q drm' (I am assuming you are using the DRM module)
Thank for your suggest with daily operation.
But how can I create policy, can I create 7 Storage Pool, and with separate pool I will add one separate tape for one day?

Thank for your suggest with daily operation.
But how can I create policy, can I create 7 Storage Pool, and with separate pool I will add one separate tape for one day?

That is not how TSM works. You should not be bothered by adding tapes if your intention is to have tapes available for backup.

The only thing you need to make sure of is to have a sufficient number of scratch tapes that will address daily backup needs.

As moon-buddy says, that's not how TSM works. The concept of daily full backups with a tape rotation is something you'd use for when you have a standalone backup application with a single standalone drive. When you start working with entreprise backups with an automated library, that goes out the window.

TSM works on the principal of incremental forever and retention is based on a combination of number of versions and age. For that reason, you don't need to micro-manage tapes and you typically, the primary reason to use more than 1 storage pools is because you have more than one media type.

You should probably familiarize yourself with TSM before you go too far with this config and get to the point of no return.

I recommend you read these 2:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/...ckups_how_the_retention_settings_work?lang=en
http://searchdatabackup.techtarget.com/tip/IBM-Tivoli-Storage-Manager-vs-traditional-backup

So keep in mind that every day is pretty much the same:
- evening/night: client daily incremental backup
- morning: backup stgpool (make a 2nd copy to send offsite to the vault)
- morning: TSM database backup (also sent offsite with the offsite tapes)
- late morning/early afternoon: expiration (process to expire data older than retention)
- early afternoon: reclamation (process that reclaims empty space created by expired files to get back scratch tapes)
- afternoon: migrate data from disk to tape pool (if you use a diskpool, highly recommended)
- evening: cycle starts again
upload_2016-2-17_11-5-33.png

Back