1. Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING) Click the link to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This message will disappear after you have made at least 12 posts. Thank you for your cooperation.

Striped logiv volumes OR multiple volumes

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning' started by steven.langdale, Feb 1, 2007.

1. steven.langdale

steven.langdale New Member

Oct 16, 2002

I'd appreciate a bit of advice :)

I'm creating a new disk pool (AIX 5.3 TSM server) and have four drives to put it on.

Would I get better performance by striping one logical volume across all the disks and using that to create one TSM volume OR creating four logical volumes (one on each disk) and one TSM volume on each?

I suppose the question is, does TSM use disk volumes in a parallel fashion and therefore negate the need for me to stripe the logical volume?

This stgpool will have multiple clients sending data to it.

Many thanks

3. hakanen

hakanen New Member

Sep 23, 2002
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    You should first of all activate asyncrous I/O, mount filesystem with Direct IO option and set the directio option to yes in dsmserv.opt, this will get you really good performance regardless if you stripe over all disks or creates separate volumes. I'd go for separate volumes since TSM spreads it's writes evenly over all stgpool volumes (When stgpool volume is type DISK, Sequential writes to volumes of type FILE will not spread).