Storage Pool information in DRM?

DanGiles

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

I have come to the point where I now want to more fully utilize DRM. The major thing I find missing in the recovery plan is primary storage pool information. I have a mix of container pools and directory class pools. I have one TSM server that does a "protect stgpool" to a second TSM server, but that second server does a local protect stgpool.
If one of the servers goes belly-up, I need the original storage pool configurations and associated containers/directories. How do people keep that information? Machine recovery instructions? (and remember to update them whenever a change is made!)

PREDATAR Control23

I have a mix of container pools and directory class pools.
Do you mean file class pools? Because container pools are directory pools and don't use a device class. File pools have a device class associated with them.
I have come to the point where I now want to more fully utilize DRM.
You can use DRM, but you can't recover the container pools with DRM. You would follow this: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7_7.1.3/srv.solutions/t_msdisk_rec_dl.html

How do people keep that information?
It depends what details you are looking for. You could run a script that gets the information you want combination of Spectrum Protect and OS commands that you could redirect to a file that you could copy on a NAS somewhere else, or even use the BAclient to back it up to the other server like you do for your database backup.

Since you are protecting and replicating, there is not an urgent need to bring back up the server that went down. It may be pressing, but not urgent. You would follow this to make the target server the new primary server, the steps to do that and recover the primary server are here:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21628618

Last edited:
PREDATAR Control23

Marclant, thanks for the reply. The last link was helpful, as I was lead to believe (by IBM support) that making the target server the primary server, then switching back, was a bad idea. I also know the differences between the different types of pools! The question though was really around saving the TSM configuration information. I like the idea of the script (I use them extensively), but I will probably put it into a MACHINE definition so it's part of the RPFile.

PREDATAR Control23

The last link was helpful, as I was lead to believe (by IBM support) that making the target server the primary server, then switching back, was a bad idea.
It's not that it's a good or bad idea, it's about the benefits. The amount of work required doesn't make it worthwhile for a short outage, a day or two. But for prolonged outage, it does make sense.