storage pool disk to file type

mosiac

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
So I wanted to try turning on deduplication in TSM to try and save some space on our storage pools and I've read that this can only be accomplished on file type storage pools. Currently my main diskpool is a disk type storage pool and I'm wondering what the best way might be to change over. Should I build a new storage pool with a file type and the move the data or will that not work?

Also how do you guys feel about deduplication in TSM?

Should I build a new storage pool with a file type and the move the data or will that not work?
This is actually the only way you can do it.

You can either do it all at once or in stages. Probably best to move node by node to the new pool. You can also move multiples nodes at once. You can issue "HELP MOVE NODEDATA" for the syntax.

Could I not add the file class to my current "disk pool" and then do a move data on volumes?

No, you can't mix and match.

You need a new file device class and a new file storage pool. Optionally, you may need new management class if you migrate the nodes one by one to use a deduplicated storage pool, which would be the ideal way to do it.

Also recommend that you are at 7.1.1.100 before you start.

You should consult this presentation for more information on the transition to deduplication:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27018576

No, the disk pool have a devclass of DISK.
Can not have a mix of device class in the same storage pool.

The device class of DISK is random access.

The device class of file is a sequential access.

Good Luck,
Sias

Back