Storage Monitoring/Reporting?

Stephan

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.twosix.ca
Hi.

How do you guys, monitor/report your Storage environment? I have people (don't we all? :) ) that like to have monthly reports on space (raw/assigned/available), ports available/used, switches and the such.

Do you use anything special? Or are you like me, a nice big Excel spreadsheet? How about something like Onaro's Sanscreen? Other solutions out there that you know of/use that could do the job?

Thanks.

It really depends on how large you environment is. If it's just a few TB, you may be able to away with a spreadsheet. If you apply naming standards to the LUNs on the storage array and host volumes, it becomes a lot easier to map resources! You should be able to pull port and switch assignments through CLIs.

If you have a large environment, I would push for an SRM tool. If management wants regular reports, these can be set up to be generated automagically, saving you hours and even days of work each month. I believe Servergraph (icon on the left!) does this. There are TONS of others: take a look at searchstorage.com for reviews.

Back