Storage Manager for Enterprise Resource Planning

hey Rai :)

I did it ! backup is started its working successfully every thing is okay now
members like you making ADSM.org a great web site thanks a million
Thank you very much ... :) :up:

Now I want to schedule this tasks ? sothat backups can run automatically..

there is a file in the installation directory of DP for SAP folder backup.cmd, do i need to install scheduler service using dsmctil inst command just like we do in TDP for Oracle or TDP for Exchnage client ,
or is there any thing special in tdp for SAP ?

Last edited:
hey Rai

I have attached the output of backup status, one thing is confusing me
backup status is sucessful it use BRBACKUPMGTCLASS for backup.
but in the entire output it is not showing BRARCHIVEMGTCLASS that i confiugre for log backups ?

plz see the attached file

Regards

Attachments

• outputsapbackup.txt
    13.3 KB · Views: 13
Backup mgmt class : ERP_DATABASE_BACKUP
Archiv mgmt class : ERP_LOGS_BACKUP
...MGMNT-CLASS: ERP_DATABASE_BACKUP, TSM-Server: SERVER_A .
That's ok, you do an BRBackup and so ERP_DATABASE_BACKUP is used
Hint: Each backup or archive ( in SAP terminology ) includes 2 runs.
The first on is the DATA run ( data or redolog files ) and the second one which stores the control file ( .utl .sap .log ..... ).
Accordingly the BRTools program ERP decides witch MGM will be used
BRBACKUP = Backup mgmt class
BRARCHIVE = Archiv mgmt class
For scheduling you are free to use whatever you want
Windows scheduler, Tivoli scheduler, SAP scheduler etc.
At least have a look at AdminAssistant ( it's part of DP for ERP ) it is a nice tool to moniitoring your ERP backups. Here the last package
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/storage/...tivoli-data-protection/r3/v6103/admin_assist/

correct me if i am wrong,

i set copygroup is archive of both mgmt classes.
ERP_DATABASE_BACKUP -> the copygroup of this class is Archive
ERP_LOGS_BACKUP -> the copytgroup of this class is ARchive

in my case only ERP_DATABASE_BACKUP mgmt class is used ?

when the ERP_LOGS_BACKUP mgmt class will be used ?

Do not compare SAP and TSM notions of archive and backup
on TSM
- backup copygroups has only 1 copy of a file ( hidden maybe more )
- archive copygroups can have copies as much as you want of 1 file
on SAP
- backup ( BRBACKUP ) storing database DATA files to ...
- archive ( BRARCHIVE ) storing database LOG files to ...
DP for ERP using for all ARCHIVE copygroups independently if you call BRARCHIVE or BRBACKUP.
so start an BRARCHIVE and you hopefully see that DP for ERP using ERP_LOGS_BACKUP

hm

when i execute this command brarchive -u / -c -m all -t online it will goto BRARCHIVEMGTCLASS management class, and backup log files, control and redo files,

ryte?

near by the command is "brarchive -u system/manager -sd -c" please have a look on the samples <installation directory> backup.cmd and archive.cmd
and yes BRARCHIVE stores the REDOLOG files and all on this run, used log and configuration files into the BRARCHIVEMGTCLASS

hello rai , hope u r fine :)

tell me what is the command to start oracle backup using TDP for Oracle agent ?

brarchive -u system/manager -sd -c this command will archive online ryte, i mean it wont dismount the database

Last edited:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redo_log
redologs are not part of the DB Tablespaces, therefore the state of the DB is not relevant.
tell me what is the command to start oracle backup using TDP for Oracle agent ?
- I never played with TDPO, sorry

And thanks I'm fine, hope you too !

as you knw i am able to take backup and archive sucessfuly,

now i want to restore that SAP backup on the test machine.

what is the procedure to restore ?

hey Rai,

tell me one thing, can i take incremental backups using tdp for ERP via BRTool ?

actully i want to send weekly full backup tapes on my DR site physically and send incremental backup electronically

Regards

Last edited:
Hi THE_WIPET!
I have implemented SAP/Oracle backup using brbackup and it works very well. Now, I want to test a restore. I am also using admin assistant and I know there is a simulate restore option. The thing is that I can't fine any good documentation that shows me how to do an SAP/ORACLE database restore.
I will appreciate very much your feed back about how to restore and/or any documentation that you cant point to me about this.

Have a good day

Regards

Oscar

Hi guys, i'm clueless with an issue that i'm facing while trying to restore the backups made through TDP SAP R3 agent.
I'm performing a disaster recovery , different machine, but same name, drives, and so on. After configuring TSM, i want to restore from my offsite tapes, like if we are dealing with a real disaster, and in fact i can restore what was backed up through baclient, but it doesn't work when trying to restore with brtools.
I'm getting an error message saying:

"BR0386E File (full name of the db file) reported as not found by backup utility"

I have spent the last few hours looking for hints, but zero progress!
Can someone please help?

check with backint if you connect to TSM in the correct way:
backint -p /path_to_utl_file/utl-file -f inquire

check with backfm if you can find the backup label and corresponding files
backfm -p /path_to_utl_file/utl-file

HI Jeroen, thank you for your quick reply.
Here are the details of the commands (had to put them in images, because i'm in a really controlled DRP environment and can't copy paste text). Prole seems ok i guess, backfm just can't find anything, i took a look in production and it finds all the files, but, could it be getting the files from a primary pool while i'm trying to restore from offsite volumes (Copypool) after marking the primary volumes as destroyed.
So my guess, something is wrong in this environment or something happenned to the data that should be migrated every single day from a specific tape pool to the SAP Data .
I'm restoring to a server configured exactly as the production server, same windows os and patch level, same drive letters and disk sizes.

Image1.JPGImage2.JPGImage3.JPG

"BR0386E File (full name of the db file) reported as not found by backup utility"
I think it means that TSM cannot find the entries in its' database. The backfm screen seems to support that idea

If the tape cannot be found or be read, you would get the message that the data is currently unavailable.

Could well be that the data is not being copied indeed.

Once more, thanks for your help on this.

I'm going to update the TSM database on the DRP Server, yesterday i have manualy migrated the data to the copypool so it has to be there.
The TSM node name is SAP_PRD , on production, when i run Q NODEDATA SAP_PRD tsm reports that there are related data on primary pool and on copypool, when i do the same on the recovered TSM system i can't get anything, but for other nodes i can without problems.
Let me move the tapes, and i will get back to you working with yesterdays backups.

Back