STK 9840 WORM or VOLSAFE media

rjcampos

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Is anybody out there using the STK 9840 "WORM or VOLSAFE" media with ADSM 5.1

on an OS.390 or z/OS platform.

We have been having problems with I/O errors (on write) with our 9840 WORM

media. ADSM works fine on our regular 9840 media.

We have the same setup at our shop and I WAS thinking about running our 9840's in "3590 mode" to try and take advantage of the LBI (Large Blocking Interface) or writing data in 256 K blocks as apposed to 56 K blocks. IBM told me that they have never sold their 3590 code to anyone including STK. Running in this mode in at our own risk. I currently have a call to STK about this issue. Have you had any resolutions to this problem? Thanks.

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>We have the same setup at our shop and I WAS thinking about running our 9840's in "3590 mode" to try and take advantage of the LBI (Large Blocking Interface) or writing data in 256 K blocks as apposed to 56 K blocks. IBM told me that they have never sold their 3590 code to anyone including STK. Running in this mode in at our own risk. I currently have a call to STK about this issue. Have you had any resolutions to this problem? Thanks. </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

We have no problems running our 9840s in 3590 mode. As a matter of fact we got rid

of our 3494 ATL (with 3590 drives) and it wit the STK SILO. Our problem is with their

9840 "VOLSAFE" or WORM Media. Basically it is the same as regular 9840, but you

can only write to it once. When we started archiving our LOTUS Notes mail directly to

the 9840 VOLSAFE media, the I/O error problems started happenning. Obviously the IBM

Support Center refused to get involved, since like you said, they have never sold the

3590 code to anyone. Currently we are getting around this problem by writing to

DISK and then offloading to the 9840 WORM tapes. This is still an open issue with STK,

since they admitted that the 9840 VOLSAFE or WORM tapes are not supported under

ADSM.

Back