Starting TSM server instances on another physical host

nandystam

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi

In our environment we have two physical servers (A and B) running multiple TSM instances on each.

A consultant recently visited us and suggested for DR purposes it would be a good idea to mount our TSM server instance configs on a share (via NAS/SAN that is replicated), so that if TSM instance 1 on server A fails, we could (if necessary) start this same TSM instance on server B by just mounting the share that has the instances configuration. Our TSM DB is mirrored between A and B using sequential writes. I hope that all made sense.

Is our consultant correct? What files would we need to start up the instance. We are using TSM 5.5 EE, and from another thread, it seems all we would need are DEVCNFG.OUT, VOLHIST.OUT, DSMSERV.OPT & and DSMSERV.DSK? Assuming server A was offline, would we need to do make any modifications to the DB in order for it to carry on as per normal?

Do we need any other files or need to take any additional steps to start a TSM Library Manager instance on another server?

Last edited:
In simple terms, he is right.

To elaborate, the configuration files mentioned MUST always be updated as soon as changes have taken place. TSM is very good in keeping this current. All you need to do is to have this available for the passive node.

One question you need to answer is: how do I make my DB and log files available to the passive server? One way is to have it mirrored as what you are doing. Another is to setup a High Availability configuration where the DB and LOGS are both 'seen' by each node. Updates are only done by the active node.

Hi,

one important thing to mention - it is very likely the passive server sees the library/tape devices under different device names. This information (device paths) is stored in the TSM DB. So even if you are able to run the TSM server on the passive node (using methods mentioned above) you have to update the paths to reflect the real situation before TSM server can use the devices. Can be handled using SANDISCOVERY - but it has a few prerequisites.
Another thing is modifying the server definition on the library clients so they can "find" the library manager on the new IP (unless you "move" the IP as well).

Hope it brings some light

Harry

Back