Start copy pool reclaim while backups still running?

mi-court-buadmin

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
:???:

Greetings, experts,

I am contemplating starting my daily script earlier to get CopyPool relamation completed before mid-afternoon. What's holding up the train is one remote site that takes 12-14 hours to back up over a slow WAN link, so I don't start the daily maintenance script until 6:00 a.m. All my local nodes can be wrapped up by 2:00 or 3:00, so I'd like to get a three-hour jump start on the reclaim process which takes up to 9 hours. My concern is how Tivoli will take it if I start backing up the disk pool and primary tape pool while there is still data straming (well, trickling, actually) in from one remote node.

It occurs to me that if the data from that remote node (100 miles away) doesn't make it to the vault right away that's alright, because it's already "offsite" relative to its original location. Are there any concerns that the storage pool backups might be inconsistent by starting the storage pool backup sooner?

If the copy pool data for that one node is not perfect in the vault, as long as I still have the primary storage for that node I'm not concerned, as the primary pool and original data are separated.

Current daily maintenance script:

backup stg DISKPOOL COPYPOOL01 wait=yes
backup stg TAPEPOOL01 COPYPOOL01 wait=yes
audit lic
expire inventory skipdirs=NO wait=yes
reclaim stgpool COPYPOOL01 threshold=40 wait=yes
backup db devclass=LTO3_CLASS type=full wait=yes
ba devconfig
ba volhist
prepare source=dbbackup wait=YES
reclaim stgpool TAPEPOOL01 threshold=40 wait=no

I understand this might end up being better posted in the "Performance and Tuning" forum, but it's a crossover topic and there may be more expertise here given that this is a combination issue.

Thanks in advance for any insights,

mi-court-buadmin

I run my reclamation side-by-side with backups. Remember that you are backing up to disk and later migrating to the tapepool. Reclamation runs against the copypool (offsite pool) which should not affect anything else.

I hope you have enough tape drives. If you do, you can also migrate the data from the diskpool to the tapepool and backup to the copypool. The only caveat is that this will take a new scratch tape since the current one is "engaged" with the reclamation process.

Last edited:
Thanks, good to hear.

I have a 6-drive TS3310a and limit reclamation to 2 parallel processes. that keeps two drives free for restores and migrations during the day. My disk pool auto-migrates based on thresholds, and I'm not sure when it decides to do that, but if it's in the wee hours the tape drives are idle as all backups go to a 1TB disk pool first.

I'll give this a try and see if I can get the tapes moved offsite earlier.

Thanks!

Back