1. Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING) Click the link to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This message will disappear after you have made at least 12 posts. Thank you for your cooperation.

Sql tdp redirected restore help needed

Discussion in 'Microsoft SQL Server' started by Jeff_Jeske, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Jeff_Jeske

Jeff_Jeske Senior Member

Storage Engineer - DR Coordinator
    I have two SQL servers:

DIX-T-REIDBS-02 (test server) and DIX-Q-REIDBS-02 (qual server)

Both servers have two databases on them. I want to restore database DIX-T-REIDBS-02\SQLDBA1 to DIX-Q-REIDBS-02\SQLDBA2.

Be advised the TDP node uses a different name for both DIXTREIDBS02-S and DIXQREIDBS02-S respectively.

I copied the TDP DSM.OPT from DIX-T to DIX-Q and verified that DIX-Q now thinks it's DIX-T via the GUI (spoof).

I click on the restore tab and can select DIX-T-REIDBS-02\SQLDBA1 backup file without issue but the GUI doesn't show the intended destination of DIX-Q-REIDBS-02\SQLDBA2 database. It also doesn't provide any option to redirect that restore from SQLDBA1 to SQLDBA2 even if it did show up!

I have read through 5.5.4 TDP install and user guide including app G but do not see any supported documentation for this particular task.

My DBA attempted to create a command to perform the same task but it bombs out complaining about invalid options. Here is the script:

tdpsqlc restore SQLDBA1 full /INTO=SQLDBA2 /FROMSQLSERVER=DIX-T-REIDBS-02 /RECOVERY=YES /REPLACE /RELOCATE=SQLDBA1 /TO=d:\DBData01\SQLDBA2.mdf
    /RELOCATE=SQLDBA1_log /TO=d:\DBData01\SQLDBA2.ldf

I'm a bit at a loss as I don't even know when I should be using the TDP node name rather than the actual server name.

Can any of you create a script that will perform this task, identify why the above script is failing or at a minimum help me make the GUI do what I want it to do?

Thanks in advance!
    Jeff

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  3. Jeff_Jeske

Jeff_Jeske Senior Member

Storage Engineer - DR Coordinator
    Taco tuesday bump

4. GregE

GregE Senior Member

I did this a couple weeks ago (cmd line) and it was a bit tedious...

A physical file existed on my target, which I let this process replace but its the /TO in my command......

tdpsqlc restore <dbname> full /sqlserver=<target_sql_server\<target_sql_instance> /fromsqlserver=<source_sqlserver>\<source_sql_instance> /tsmoptfile=<tdp_optfile_you_copied> /tsmpassword=xxxxxxxxxx /relocate=<logical_filename> /to=<full_path_and_existing_physical_filename> /into=<dbname> /recovery=yes /replace

If you are restoring DIFF or LOG after your FULL restore, set /recovery=no on the FULL and only set it to "yes" on the very last restore you do in the series.

Get the logical filename using "query TSM"...

tdpsqlc query TSM <dbname> full /fromsqlserver=<source_sqlserver>\<source_sql_instance> tsmoptfile=<tdp_optfile_you_copied> /fileinfo /all

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
    Jeff_Jeske likes this.