SQL commands running slow

troglodyte

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
On TSM 8.1.5 for Windows 2016 Server, my SQL commands are taking a long time to run. >7 minutes for a simple select statement. No other processes running, no migrations or imports/exports. CPU and Memory (1TB) are good.. I have 790 nodes on this server

This is my first experience of TSM on Windows, having migrated off 9 AIX lpars all onto 6 Windows 2016 servers. This is the only one with this particular issue, other servers are performing admirably, better than AIX even. Not sure where to start troubleshooting as I haven't come across this before even on AIX.

I opened a case with IBM support and received the laziest answer ever.. so they're of no help.

Thanks.

Just curious.
What is the select statement that we are issuing?

- Sias

Hi Sias,

Sorry for the late reply. Still having problems.

I dumbed it down, "select node_name from nodes where node_name like 'blah%'

the original statement was "select node_name, max_mp_allowed from nodes order by max_mp_allowed", it's still taking a while to run but nowhere as bad as before.

Not sure where to start troubleshooting as I haven't come across this before even on AIX.
I opened a case with IBM support and received the laziest answer ever.. so they're of no help.

As for troubleshooting. It will be extremely tough since there are no error message(s) to go by.
We only see the end results.

You can take a look at the Windows event logs, I would not expect to see anything out of the ordinary.
Can even look at the db2 logs for any hints. Since there are not issue(s) occurring, would not expect to see anything in the logs.

May want to attempt some performance tuning.
Then again, I am suspecting that all the TSM B/A Clients are completing there schedule backup and the TSM Server is completing its daily process (migration, reclamation, backupdb...)

When did the issue started?
What is the full version of TSM Server 8.1.5.X are we running?
I'm hoping that we are at 8.1.5.000 .

Like you say. The select is simple. If there are a lot of data to be process or if the TSM Server is very busy, a simple select can take some time to complete.

Since there are no process running at the time. The select should run quickly.
How long did the select normally take?

Good Luck,
Sias

it's still taking a while
Could you quantify "a while" because that's very subjective?

Select queries are primarily affected by the speed of the database?
  1. How big is the database?
  2. Is the DB on dedicated disks?
  3. How many DB directories?
  4. Is each DB directory a LUN/filesystem?
  5. What type of disks is the DB on? SSD, 15K, 10K, ...?
  6. Is the active log in a dedicated LUN/disk?
  7. What type of disks is the active log on? SSD, 15K, 10K, ...?

Back