Speed up db backup of TSM

DavrosDalek

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I run a maintenance script that backs up the tsm db, devconf, volh and then protects my stgpool/replicates to a remote server.

Is there any way to speed up the tsm db backup ? Is it possible to stripe it like a sql tdp backup ?

My current command within the maintenance script to back the tsm db is as follows

backup db type=full devc=dbfulldevc scratch=yes wait=yes

Craig

You can increase the NUMStreams, the default is 1. You can either do it within the backup command, or set it permanently using SET DBRECOVERY.

NUMStreams

Specifies the number of parallel data movement streams to use when you back up the database. The default value is 1, and the maximum number is 32. Increasing this value causes a corresponding increase in the number of database backup sessions to be used and in the number of drives to be used for the device class. A NUMSTREAMS value that is specified in the BACKUP DB command overrides any value set in the SET DBRECOVERY command. The NUMSTREAMS value is used for all types of database backups.​
If a value is specified that is greater than the number of drives available for the device class, the number of available drives are used. The available drives are defined to the device class by the MOUNTLIMIT parameter or by the number of online drives for the specified device class. The session is displayed in the QUERY SESSION output.​
If you increase the number of streams, more volumes are used from the corresponding device class for this operation. Using more volumes might improve the speed of the database backups, but at the cost of more volumes that are not fully used.​

If network bandwidth is the bottleneck, you may also consider using compression (compress=yes) option.

Hi,
For some table reorg:

And in particular, look at

Attachments

• analyze_DB2_formulas_v1_14.zip
    11.5 KB · Views: 4
Hey, maybe you want to use Shared Memory. In my case it helped speed up DB Backup.

I have written this down in German and on AIX as an OS.

I've been using shared memory for the database backup for a while now. It has greatly reduced the backup time of the database. It also helped reduce network congestion when clients were trying to backup to the server during the database backup window (I know not perfect).

Back