Spectrum Protect upgrade from 8.1 to 8.1.8

rpandey

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi
I am planning to upgrade Spectrum Protect server from 8.1 to 8.1.8 on Linux Redhat OS. Will there be any issues? What consideration do i need to take?

The biggest one is the security changes introduced in 8.1.2:

And why 8.1.8? Why not a recent release? You are missing out on security fixes, apar fixes and new features. All the Security Bulletins listed here are fixed in the latest version: https://www.ibm.com/support/home/se...e_avl:CT792,CT555,CT755&sortby=-dcdate&ct=fab

Agreed that SSL certificates are the most significant feature that needs to be considered. You'll want to do some research within your organization whether self-signed certs are ok, or does your org require Root CA signed certs.

The biggest one is the security changes introduced in 8.1.2:

And why 8.1.8? Why not a recent release? You are missing out on security fixes, apar fixes and new features. All the Security Bulletins listed here are fixed in the latest version: https://www.ibm.com/support/home/se...e_avl:CT792,CT555,CT755&sortby=-dcdate&ct=fab
Thank you!
My organisation policy is N-2, that's why i am planning to upgrade to v8.1.8

Agreed that SSL certificates are the most significant feature that needs to be considered. You'll want to do some research within your organization whether self-signed certs are ok, or does your org require Root CA signed certs.

self-signed certs are fine. What about the encryption stuff?

The N-2 or N-1 approach doesn't really work anymore. It used to be that only major releases (6.3.0, 7.1.0, 8.1.0) included new features and fixpacks (8.1.1.000, 8.1.2.000, 8.1.3.000) only include apar fixes. But now with agile development, fixpacks include both new features and apar fixes. So every new fixpacks includes new features that the previous version didn't have. So regardless which level you pick, you will have new features that were not in the previous version, so if you go with 8.1.9 (which is N-2), you would still have new features never present in an earlier release. It's probably a better approach to run the latest to get fixes for known issues, and not implement new features until they have been out for 2 versions.

If office politics forces you to stick to N-2, at least go to 8.1.9.300 in order to get fixes to issues present in 8.1.9.000.

I know you said n-2, but have a look at 8.1.10.100. It's been rock stable for me. I had some issues with 8.1.8 and had to take several efixes not published.
*Edit: and there were some some high cve's fixed in 8.1.10 as well. Haven't looked at .11 yet so can't offer insight. Too new for my blood :)

The N-2 or N-1 approach doesn't really work anymore. It used to be that only major releases (6.3.0, 7.1.0, 8.1.0) included new features and fixpacks (8.1.1.000, 8.1.2.000, 8.1.3.000) only include apar fixes. But now with agile development, fixpacks include both new features and apar fixes. So every new fixpacks includes new features that the previous version didn't have. So regardless which level you pick, you will have new features that were not in the previous version, so if you go with 8.1.9 (which is N-2), you would still have new features never present in an earlier release. It's probably a better approach to run the latest to get fixes for known issues, and not implement new features until they have been out for 2 versions.

If office politics forces you to stick to N-2, at least go to 8.1.9.300 in order to get fixes to issues present in 8.1.9.000.

Thanks for your feedback. I have proposed to upgrade to latest version.

I know you said n-2, but have a look at 8.1.10.100. It's been rock stable for me. I had some issues with 8.1.8 and had to take several efixes not published.
*Edit: and there were some some high cve's fixed in 8.1.10 as well. Haven't looked at .11 yet so can't offer insight. Too new for my blood :)
Thanks for your feedback

Any time. 8.1.9.300 was good as well, but I know .10 fixed those CVE's. So guess it needs to be ran by your infosec team. I myself am looking here at .11 soonish. Just as soon as I get some time to dig in deeper past the announcement.

Any time. 8.1.9.300 was good as well, but I know .10 fixed those CVE's. So guess it needs to be ran by your infosec team. I myself am looking here at .11 soonish. Just as soon as I get some time to dig in deeper past the announcement.

Thank you

Back