Space reclamation not running properly

akilap

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi all ..

When i see the volumes which were eligible for running space reclamation with the below command,,
"select volume_name, pct_reclaim, stgpool_name from volumes where pct_reclaim >=90 order by 3,2 asc"

i could see a lot of volumes whose actual valid utilisation is <10 % , but when i try running a space reclamation process for those listed volumes (stg pools) , its not running.. else i m doing with a move data process..
and again ,i m able to move data for onsite pools alone and not able to do for the copy pools.. and when i run space reclamation its of no use.. means not running.. i made sure that there are free drives.. etc..
Please help me out.. in resolving this..

Hi,
Are you using collocation for your storage pools?

In your query you ask for 'pct_reclaim' but then you talk about 'valid utilization'. I think you are confused. Pct util doesn't determine if reclamation runs or no. You can have several tapes with <10% Pct util but 0 in Pct. reclaimable space. That could mean that you are using collocation by node or by groups without defining groups, which is the default. So every node will try to use a different tape for its backups.

what is the result of your query??: "select volume_name, pct_reclaim, stgpool_name from volumes where pct_reclaim >=90 order by 3,2 asc"

Rudy

Hi ..
the select command's output will look like
"VOLUME_NAME PCT_RECLAIM STGPOOL_NAME
------------------ ----------- ------------------
A00000 99.3 STGPOOL_NAME
A00000 99.5 STGPOOL_NAME
A00000 99.5 STGPOOL_NAME

and collocation is not enabled for any of the storage pools.. but using the above command i can able to see many tapes with pct_reclaim > 90 %.
Please let me know for further queries if u have..

Hi ..
the select command's output will look like
"VOLUME_NAME PCT_RECLAIM STGPOOL_NAME
------------------ ----------- ------------------
A00000 99.3 STGPOOL_NAME
A00000 99.5 STGPOOL_NAME
A00000 99.5 STGPOOL_NAME

and collocation is not enabled for any of the storage pools.. but using the above command i can able to see many tapes with pct_reclaim > 90 %.
Please let me know for further queries if u have..

Ok, run 'reclaim stgp STGPOOL_NAME thres=99 dur=5 wait=no' and check if the process starts. If not, post your actlog. Also, check that those volumes (I guess your renamed the names for the post) are in the library and are in readwrite access.

Rudy

hi ..

when i run this command, process is getting started, but its waiting for the output volume to mount , and there is request pending to chk in that output volume inside the library.and the output volume its asking to mount is actually residing inside the library which can be seen under q vol command but not with the q libv command.. th ink something peculiar.. am going to try with an audit library command..
please advice me..

Back