SP4VE backup issue

rpandey

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I got a quick question to ask about the Monthly full backup using SP4VE for VMware ESX VMs.

We have daily data mover and daily datacenter nodes configured for Incremental Forever-Incremental backups, and we also have monthly data mover and monthly datacenter nodes configured for monthly backups using IF-Full mode, both are using SP4VE

The monthly SP4VE backup is scheduled to start on the first Saturday of each month at 10:00am, daily SP4VE backup is scheduled to start at 10:00pm each night.

Out problem is that some of the VM's monthly full SP4VE backup overran past 10:00pm on Saturday, when the daily incremental SP4VE backup started for the same VM at 10:00pm, the daily incremental backup job deleted the VM snapshot which was created by the monthly backup job for the same VM and then created a new snapshot for daily incremental backup, it caused the monthly backup for that VM failed.

Is there any way to stop one SP4VE backup job deleting the snapshot of the same VM which was created by different backup job from different data mover?

Or, has anyone encountered the same problem and what is the resolution?

Not that I know of..

DP for VE prefixes it's vCenter snapshots with 'TSM-<vm name>' and the first thing any scheduled vm backup command does (regardless of daily, weekly or monthly) is look to see if any prior TSM related snapshots are still present for a given vm within vCenter. If so, it'll request the vCenter to remove it so it's got a clean snapshot backup point when the schedule next runs. (all to do with CBT)

In your case your monthly & daily ve backups will always conflict given their timings so you will most likely need to do some schedule restructuring for one or the other around that time. Moving the monthly schedule as far away from the daily schedule for Saturday would seem the easiest route to me. And if they still conflict or it then runs into Sunday and interferes with that days daily vm backups then look at removing a daily backup just for one day in the month so that the Monthly vm backup has a full 24 hr window in which to do it's job.

Back