SP upgrade v8.1.9.1 > v8.1.11 on RHEL 7.9 asks for instance pwd

c.j.hund

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hello all,

I am in the process of updating some RHEL SP instances from version 8.1.9.2 to version 8.1.11. This is usually a very straightforward process as I am sure you know, but during the update I am being asked for the instance password. This didn't happen when I updated these systems to v8.1.9.2, but since the v8.1.9.2 update we were required to change our O/S passwords from 8 to 15 characters (including the instance user's password). I'm not sure if this plays into the problem or not, but I suspect it has something to do with this issue.

So I have updated the instance user's password to a 15 character password, and I can verify that password works because I am able to log onto the Linux server normally. However, when I am prompted for the instance password during the update, I enter the password but the update doesn't like it or doesn't recognize it and I am stuck right here at this point. I have to ctrl-c out of the install to do anything.

This feels like a security or permissions problem. Has anyone bumped into this issue before, or perhaps can lend me some insight on where to look for the problem?

Sincere thanks,
C.J.

I must have bumped into something unusual. The issue has IBM stumped as well, apparently. I'm wondering under what conditions would an SP upgrade ask you to provide the instance user and instance password?

Sincerely confused,
C.J.

I finally found the answer to this problem, in case anyone bumps into this in the future. Settings in the /etc/sysconfig/selinux file were changed. You need the value of the selinux variable to read:
SELINUX=DISABLED

Cheers!
C.J.

This can happen in the 8.1.11 upgrade.... Yes... There is a document in the support site on what to do as the workaround, but selinux has been the culprit more than not in Linux.

Hi, I know this is an old entry . BUT - I have to upgrade a SP 7.1.9.100 server running on RHEL 7.5 to RHEL 7.9. I just cannot find anywhere a confirmation that SP 7.1.9 is supported on RHEL 7.9. Is there anyone out there that had or still is in such a config? Or knows if it is?

Thanks

Back