1. Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING) Click the link to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This message will disappear after you have made at least 12 posts. Thank you for your cooperation.

So that I have this correct........

Discussion in 'EMC Avamar' started by GregE, Feb 24, 2012.

1. GregE

GregE Senior Member

Avamar server is not software that is configurable on a Windows server or UNIX server, but is instead a only a combo of software and hardware on an EMC disk array.

Also there is a VM option.

But my question is, it's definitely not just software that can be installed on my own Windows or UNIX server?

3. GregE

GregE Senior Member

From what I can locate, looks like the answer is "no".

4. mikeymac

mikeymac Moderator

Hi, Greg. We're gonna be hearing the Avamar sales pitch in the next few weeks. It sounds like interesting stuff. I'll post back here with what they tell us. My understanding is that Avamar is a bundled hardware/software solution. The goal is tape-free backups (though Avamar now supports movement of deduplicated data to tape for long-term storage). I have my TSM backup numbers ready to go. I'm interested to learn about the kind of Avamar foot-print we'd need to have to replace my massive TSM environment.

5. GregE

GregE Senior Member

Thanks! I'll definitely be interested.

There are several options...

- Avamar Virtual Edition - a VMWare appliance.
    - Avamar Data Store - bundled hardware/software as you mentioned.
    - DataDomain as the target.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  6. dms19

dms19 New Member

TSM Admin
    You have the option of a small Avamar instance on a VM, but its not something EMC really pushes. Avamar on its own grid and DD back end is where its at. After the initial backup, clients are generally done with in 20 minutes each and compression and dedupe is up there. Only down side is unlike TSM, EMC forces you to call support for almost everything.