Small Question, Help me please

livvas

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Dear TSM colleagues,

I have 2 new IBM TS3310 Tape Librarys, and 2 new servers for a fresh installation of TSM arhitecture in our 2 recovery sites.
My question is: What is the recomanded TSM Arhitecture to satisfy the following needs??

Needs:
1. TSM server1 and TSM server2 can use both tape librarys, and same disks
2. When TSM server1 is down TSM server2 can restore all backups from all tape librarys (even if the backups were made with TSM server1).
3. I need to be able to copy some critical archived files from one tapelib to the other tapelib from the site 2.

Thank you for your support!

I'll assume we're talking TSM V5.x here, and we have lots of bandwidth. (Otherwise, it's going to take more than a couple of posting exchanges to figure out a design.)

TSMSERV1 will have instance I1 and instance I2, with I2 dormant.
TSMSERV2 will have instance I2 and I1, with I1 dormant.

The two I1 instances would point to the same disk -- DB, log, pools
The two I2 instances would point to their own disk.

You will need MAJOR safegaurds in place to make sure the I1 or I2 instances do not run at the same time.

I would need more info on item 3 as to your configuration and what you are trying to do.

Thak you Dan!

I will install TSM 5.5, I don't have couraje to install tsm 6.1 yet :|
We have a lot bandwidth (A SAN infrastructure, fiber between sites ).

In attachment is a draft of our arhitecture overview.
OS on the TSMSERV1/2 is Windows server 2003 R2, 2 x Tape Librarys IBM TS3310.

So we need:
- To restore data from tape when the Disks from SAN are inaccesible
(so we can't store the TSM DB,log on SAN Disks )
- To have redundancy as possible as we can. I found interesting to install TSM in a Microsoft 2003 Cluster, but the big problem is THE SHARED Disk for Quorum, should not be on SAN because if SAN fail we can not retore nothing.
- to archive data from site1-clients to tape library from site2, and after that to copy a version of archive to tapelibrary from site1.
We need to have in general minimum 2 version of an archived data, in a diferent sites.

Thank you,

Attachments

• TSM first draft Drawing.zip
    305.9 KB · Views: 27
If you don't put the DB/log on SAN disk, then you'll have to mirror them through software over the LAN/WAN. And so what happens if the WAN goes down? The likely-hood of this happening is just as good as losing your SAN.

I don't quite get the last part: you will send data from clients on site1 to site2, then copy the data back to site1? That's doubling your network traffic for no reason.

Have you considered VTL with dedupe capabilities?

Hello Dan,

IF the WAN goes Down is not my direct problem, is a problem for our networking department. But this is very unlikely because we have redundant LAN, SAN, WAN Infrastructure (2 SW, 2 Routers, 2 SAN Architecture, everithyng is x2).
Mi ideea is to store DB/log to Local Disk(raid5) of TSMSRV1, first miror copy to Local disk(raid5) of TSMserver2, second mirror copy to SAN and vice versa. How do you think? Do you recomand me to trust in mirror copies of TSM Aplication?

Yes you're right, corect is: -to archive data from site1-clients to tape library from site1, and after that to copy a version of archive to tapelibrary from site2. i need to to this in both sides.

So my problem is how can i access both TAPELibrarys from every server, and how can i set the 2 servers to use tha same DB and Log. I mean when a server is down the other server can take all activity, It can use/understand Db and Log of the first server?

Thank you for your support Dan!

I can't find some documentation about How to configure/plan/install a redundant TSM new Architecture. Some examples of installed and recomanded architectures, best practices...

Many Many Thanks to anyone how can direct me to this type of documentation!

I think this is a very interesting question. I am also not aware that there is any offical documentation that covers similar scenario.
Really, is there anybody who manage similar configuration of two different, but mutually redundant TSM servers?

There are lots of ways to tackle this problem. Yes, it is rather complex, so no, you will not find a 'how to' document. That's why we have architects ;o
You can look for a solution at the software (TSM) level, the o/s level, and/or the storage infrastructure level. Think Metro or Global mirroring.

BTW, the WAN going down IS your problem: the reliability of the different connections will affect the design of the solution.

Certainly I will Find The Best Solution that fits our infrastructure, the problem is Time...and money.

We don't have a TSM architect now, but after this implementation I will be a very little baby Architect :).

And... I will share my knowledge on this Forum ;).

Thank you,

Back