Size of dsm.sys file

Andrew21210

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I've looked but I can't find a reference to give the maximum size or character limit for the dsm.sys file on Linux/Unix clients. Is there a practical limit?

There's no limit that I am aware of. Even a dsm.sys with a lot of options and several stanzas would still be a tiny file. The client doesn't read the whole file, it scans if for the stanza, then only loads that stanza in memory.

While there's no practical limit, it's harder for you to manage if you have a large messy ones. I'd probably avoid any options that are using the default value just to keep it easier to manager for you. Adding comments helps too and don't affect performance, client ignores those.

The limit is dictated by non-repeating options that can be entered to comprise the dsm.sys or dsm.opt file.

In practicality, dsm.sys files can be much longer than similar dsm.opt (for Windows) files since dsm.sys files can have multiple stanzas. With multiple stanzas, one can have the node backup to many TSM servers, have multiple schedules, call BA and/or TDP backups, etc.

I have dsm.sys files in Production that has 5 stanzas.

There is no limit, you can write as many stanzas as you want in one DSM.SYS file.

Even when your TSM contains 10 TSM servers and 10 000 nodes are registered on each server,
you can still have 100 000 stanzas in one DSM.SYS file.
Assuming use of only 1 stanza for 1 node, which is also not limited, because your stanza name could be not related to node name, you can call it "Bob" and same node name could have many stanzas.

Back