Single TSM node with multiple backup retention

nicklas

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have some doubt on single tsm node with multiple backup retention, hope all tsm experts can share some advise on this:-

My current MSSQL 2008 R2 server being backup by tsm (tdp for mssql) with daily full backup (vere=28 verd=1 rete=28 reto=60) , but lately I had been instructed to split the backup to below backup strategy:-

1. Daily incremental backup (Monday - Saturday) (vere=6 verd=1 rete=6 reto=60)
2. Weekly full backup (Sunday) (vere=12 verd=1 rete=12 reto=60)
3. Monthly full backup (last day of the month) (vere=12 verd=1 rete=12 reto=60)

So my question is, can I use the current tsm node & domain with multiple backup retention as above? Or I have to define different node (node, node_daily & node_wkly) and different domain (dom, dom_daily & dom_wkly) to cater above backup strategy.

Thanks in advance

Nicklas

One possible setup:

Setup multiple node names linked to different mgmt classes under one domain

Will you please explain the procedure in steps or sample dsm.opt files for windows. also explain the command to run schedule backup, if i enter command in isc admin client scheduler action like (dsmc -optfile-c:\program files\tivoli\tsm\baclient\dsmmonthly.opt incr D:\Test\* -su=yes). It is right or something else.

1. Create three management classes for the retention you want, i.e. mc_daily, mc_weekly, mc_monthly
2. Create three dsm.opt files: daily_dsm.opt, weekly_dsm.opt, monthly_dsm.opt
3. Each opt file will contain a line specifying the management class for each retention you need:

daily: include *:\...\* mc_daily

weekly: include *:\...\* mc_weekly

monthly: include *:\...\* mc_monthly

Schedule the backup using the different OPT files accordingly.

Thanks for ur reply, but i have one issue when i set different pools in each management class the backup of all nodes automatically went on same pool also default management class set the storage pool itself. what is the reason behind this? Although i want to backup data on separate pools.

Thanks for ur reply, but i have one issue when i set different pools in each management class the backup of all nodes automatically went on same pool also default management class set the storage pool itself. what is the reason behind this? Although i want to backup data on separate pools.

The backup will go to the same storage pool because the different management classes belong to the same Domain. If you need to have different storage pools, create different domains (which you need to create different storage pools) for the various management classes.

Thank You very much moon-buddy.:) I'll come to you later if i face some other issue.

Hi suleman,

Did you try the option suggested by Moon-Buddy? Even I have the same requirement. Same node to be backed up daily and monthly with different retention parameters. If you could confirm, I will also use the same technique.

Back