Simultaneous schedules?

ldmwndletsm

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi, My understanding is that if client A is associated with two or more schedules (I guess with a different virtual nodename for each), and the first backup does not complete on the client before the second schedule B starts then the second backup will be aborted ... unless you either set a long enough start-up window or you allow for multiple dsmcad processes. I've set up a two stanza dsm.sys file (and two .opt files), and we're running two dsmcad processes on the client, each referencing its corresponding .opt file to allow us to run two simultaneous schedules on that same host without having to worry about one of the two schedules aborting if the other is still running.

So two basic (silly?) questions here regarding schedules on the backup server:

1. Can you have multiple schedules that start at the same time, and/or overlap, defined on the backup server? Does it care?

I would most likely not start two schedules at the same time, but was just curious if the server cares.

2. If a client is not set up to run concurrent schedules (and the start-up window expired or wasn't set) so it abandons a subsequent backup schedule, due to the fact that it's still working on the first backup schedule, then will this only affect that one client? In other words, any remaining clients that are set up for concurrent schedules will be okay? Or will this force the whole schedule to abort?

PREDATAR Control23

You can run two schedules/backups at one time. You could set up an additional TSM scheduler with a new OPT/SYS file. But it seems to me you could do a post backup process and have that kick off the other backup you are looking to run.

PREDATAR Control23

just one schedule per node could be run at a given time ,you have to avoid multiple schedules .

PREDATAR Control23

I have setups that run parallel backups BUT the destination are 2 different TSM servers. One TSM server is for short term retention and the other is for long term retention. Of course I have separate dsm.sys/opt files for these.

If the node name remains the same, you have to kickoff the backup one after the other. If the node names are different, you can run these in parallel. Just make sure you have two sets of schedulers and dsm.sys/opt files.