simple question- dsmadmc

jeffs42885

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi, quick one hopefully.

When I issue dsmadmc from my unix command line, where does it store the default server name to connect to.

I have 3 server names specified the same across my test/qa/prod systems within the dsm.sys file in /usr/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin64

the servers are AIX LINUX and CENT.

my development and production servers connect to CENT by default
my test server connects to LINUX by default

Where is this defined? Thanks!

PREDATAR Control23

Since I am not sure what os is hosting the TSM Server Admin Client.

The dsmadmc use the first stanza that are in :
dsm.opt - Windows
dsm.sys - Unix

If you want to use a different server connection in the dsm.opt or dsm.sys.
Can use the -servername like you can with dsmc.

You can issue some thing like the following:
dsmcadmc -TCPServeraddress=ip.address.of.TSMServer
Of course the TSM Server will prompt for an ID and PWD.

Good Luck,
Sias

PREDATAR Control23

It's AIX.

I checked dsm.sys in /ba/bin64..and the first server is what is defaulted to when I type dsmadmc.

I commented it out, and tried again, it still defaulted me. Do I need to restart anything?

PREDATAR Control23

If any changes made in the dsm.opt and/or the dsm.sys file, the schedule service/daemon need to be stop and restarted. This would only be for schedule backup.

As for the dsmadmc, do not recall that any service or daemon need to be stop and restarted.

As a test, stop the schedule daemon and/or the CAD daemon. to see if the results are still the same.

If the results are the same, and we want to access another TSM Server, suggest dsmadmc -se=servername -id=yourid -pa=password .

Good Luck,
Sias

Last edited:
PREDATAR Control23

On AIX, the default server is the one specified in dsm.opt. It's often the first one in dsm.sys, but that's just because both files are usually configured at the same time.

And like Sias said, you can use the -se (short for -servername) option to specify a different one if you need to.

PREDATAR Control23

On AIX, the default server is the one specified in dsm.opt. It's often the first one in dsm.sys, but that's just because both files are usually configured at the same time.

And like Sias said, you can use the -se (short for -servername) option to specify a different one if you need to.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I can easily just do -se= to specify the server name.

I tried changing both files and running dsmadmc and it did not take the change.

PREDATAR Control23

You might be editing the wrong files. Check the environment variables:
env | grep DSM

DSM_DIR is the path where dsm.sys is found
DSM_CONFIG is the option file used

PREDATAR Control23

One thing to note:

If your "jump off" point is a an AIX or Linux box, to make the -se=<servername> switch work, make sure that the dsm.sys on that box has all of the information needed to make the -se switch.

You cannot just say: dsmadmc -se=<other_sever_name> -id=admin, etc and everything works. It will not. On a Linux box, if you do not have the "other servers" listed in the dsm.sys file, you will get:

[tsmadmin@server1 ~]$ dsmadmc -se=server1
ANS1217E Server name not found in System Options File

Actually the error is deceiving. You don't need to have to the entry in the dsm.opt file (entries here are just pointers to the dsm.sys). If there is no entry, TSM will search the dsm.sys file.

This is what I have so I can switch from one TSM server to another with the dsmadmc -se=<servername> routine:

dsm.sys file

SErvername server1
NOdename client1
COMMMethod TCPip
TCPPort 1500
TCPServeraddress server1 **NOTE: DNS entry exists for this; Use IP address if no DNS entry**
PasswordAccess generate
ManagedServices webclient
InclExcl /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/inclexcl.list
REsourceutilization 5

SErvername server2
TCpserveraddress server2 **NOTE: DNS entry exists for this; Use IP address if no DNS entry**
COMMMethod TCPip
TCPPort 1600

SErvername server3
TCpserveraddress server3 **NOTE: DNS entry exists for this; Use IP address if no DNS entry**
COMMMethod TCPip
TCPPort 1700

dsm.opt file:

SErvername server1

The first stanza in dsm.sys in conjuction with the dsm.opt also functions as the dsmc configuration parameters for backup.

PREDATAR Control23

Most of the time, I just use dsmadmc on my laptop, it's extra work to SSH and login to AIX/Linux first, just to invoke a program that I have on my laptop.

I made a few batch files that are in the path, I just enter the servername and press enter:

Example, here's server1.cmd
cd "c:\program files\tivoli\tsm\baclient"
dsmadmc -tcps=server1.abc.xyz -id={my admin id} -pa={my password}

On Windows, servers don't need to be listed in dsm.opt, you can just pass them to dsmadmc using -tcps.

So I have a series of those batch files to connect to various servers in the same fashion. And because it's my laptop, it's fine storing the password in clear text in a batch file.

PREDATAR Control23

Example, here's server1.cmd
cd "c:\program files\tivoli\tsm\baclient"
dsmadmc -tcps=server1.abc.xyz -id={my admin id} -pa={my password}

On Windows, servers don't need to be listed in dsm.opt, you can just pass them to dsmadmc using -tcps.

Or, you can create shortcuts on your Desktop (for all TSM servers you need to login to) with the properties set as:

Target: "C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\dsmadmc.exe" /tcpserveraddress=server1_name_or_IP_address /tcpport=1500_or_as_appropriate /id=admin /pa=password

Note that dsm.opt file must exist in C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\ or it will error out. I place an empty dsm.opt file on my laptop since I adminster 18 TSM servers.

Note:

marclant used "-" and I use "/" - both works for TSM BA Client dsmadmc in Windows but NOT in *nix systems; just use "-" for *nix systems.

Last edited: