Short Files names being restored from Netware

macca

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi,

We've recently migrated from using our old netware cluster for file storage to a windows based system, but we've recently received requests to restore data from our old EOM backupsets. Since we've decomissioned the netware cluster and the attached SAN we had to build another netware server so that we could do the restore.
Since I kept all the old client nodes on the system etc. there aren't any issues restoring the data, however all data is being restored in the short file name format.
Now we've always had a small issue that when browsing through backed up netware files in the tsm client they have always shown up in short file name format(DOS, 8.3), but whenever the restore was completed the files would always convert themselves to the long format(as in if you browsed the restored data whilst the restore was still going they'd still be in 8.3, but after the restore completes they'll be fine). Unfortunately when restoring on this new netware server this just isn't happening and we're at a loss as to why...
Where is the long name format information stored? Surely it's stored along with the backup somewhere, we've tried various things in the option file(autofsrename, memoryefficientbackup no etc.) with no luck.
Plus the long name space is definitely enabled on the netware volume...
We're currently running an older version of tsm(5.4.2) but according to everything I read that shouldn't be an issue in this case.
Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

It's been a while since I worked with Netware, but isn't there a long file name volume property that needs to be enabled on the Netware volume? I think I ran into that when we started deploying Win95 back in the day.
-Rowl

Unless you can rebuild the system exactly as before, you can't get the restore of the long file name format.

I had experienced this before. No matter what we do, we always end up with the short name.

Thanks for the response, do you mean setup another Novell cluster? Or will we have to use the old cluster with the same instance of edirectory running?
I just thought the long name info would be stored with the file...

Thanks for the response, do you mean setup another Novell cluster? Or will we have to use the old cluster with the same instance of edirectory running?
I just thought the long name info would be stored with the file...

Building the system the way it was means having the exact settings as before. A cluster setup is not a factor per se. E-Directory does not control long file names. if NDS was involved, it should be setup as it was. Rowl's post above is one thing to look at as this is part of what we made sure was set on our rebuild.

Building the system the way it was means having the exact settings as before. A cluster setup is not a factor per se. E-Directory does not control long file names. if NDS was involved, it should be setup as it was. Rowl's post above is one thing to look at as this is part of what we made sure was set on our rebuild.

OK, it's just that I can definitely confirm the new volume we created on our netware server has long file name support enabled.

Back