Sharepoint/DocAve/TSM

DanGiles

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

I am setting up a TSM environment for testing purposes and one of the apps they want to test is Sharepoint. I looked at the doc and it seems like it would take me a week to figure it out :(

All I want to do is install the thing, do a minimal set up, and tie it into the TSM server. There's configuration screens coming out your wazoo, but it never says anything about how to set up the management classes on the TSM server! :mad: (I suspect the mgmt class should be something like 1/1/0/0??)

So, what do I do? :confused:

Oh, and can I download this from the IBM ftp site? I suspect that even if I could I would need some sort of licence file?

Yours truly,
flabberghasted

PREDATAR Control23

So far in our environment it has not worked out very well but another TSM administrator is working with IBM on the setup. It has been approx. 6 months now

PREDATAR Control23

We have it running...we went straight to AvePoint for the purchase and support. And I know that you can get demo licenses from them.

As for the mgmt class, we have it set to 14 versions for twice a day backups over the course of a week. Scheduling is handled inside of DocAve.

Hope that helps a little.

PREDATAR Control23

Yes dangel, this is a good starting point. If I may bother you for a couple of things...

Where does the dsm.opt file go, and/or how do you point to it? Anything special it needs?

If you can point me to the menu screen I need to go to in order to point to tsm, and if/how I can set up multiple backup streams, that would be most excellent.

THANKS!

PREDATAR Control23

This might be a little rough around the edges but here we go...
- Go to Data Protection>Custom Backup Builder>Granular or Platform Backup
- Click Logical Device, say OK to the warning
- Enter in a Logical Device Name
- Select TSM as the Data Type
- On the right-hand side click Add next to Physical device...this is where the opt file type information goes>this won't work until you've created a node and assign a mgmt class on the tsm server
- At that point you can save it and use that logical device in building your backup schedules
- One caveat, you can only have one TSM logical device per mgmt class...the only way to split them up is to buy another media server license and create another TSM node

PREDATAR Control23

We have it running and its working well even though its a bit non-tsm like.

If you are using TSM for SharePoint 6.X you can only edit the options file through the GUI.
Also you need to create a specific managment class for sharepoint. This is because every document is unique and DocAve manages the expiration of those documents.

I have mine set to retain versions exist 1 and all others are 0.

You then configure pruning within DocAve and it has no idea what a version is. Configuration is tricky. I am retaining my sharepoint backups for 60 days. I run daily incrementals with a month end full. That way I always have at least one full backup and at least 30 days of incr to fall back on.

Attachments

• SharePoint_Install_Config.doc
    48.5 KB · Views: 277