Set up Bi-directional ports in AIX

aixfolk29

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
How can i enable or set up bi-directional ports in AIX?
Thanks.

What do you mean by bi-directional ports? Do you mean TCP/IP ports or serial ports or... ?

-Aaron

What do you mean by bi-directional TCP/IP ports? By default the TCP/IP ports transmit and receive data and thus are bi-directional.

Do you mean FULL Duplex? Use SMIT, and make sure that the your switches are set to handle FULL duplex.

What do you mean by bi-directional TCP/IP ports? By default the TCP/IP ports transmit and receive data and thus are bi-directional.

Do you mean FULL Duplex? Use SMIT, and make sure that the your switches are set to handle FULL duplex.

I need to open two ports on an AIX 5.3 box to set up Tivoli Monitoring tool. and would like to know the configuration steps required to accomplish that.
Thanks for your reply

Just as a FYI, your question is Tivoli Monitoring related and not TSM related.

As with all monitoring tools, once installation begins (agent installation) a preferred TCP/IP port is opened, or you can specify your preference. The port is then available. Normally you accept the default ports.

If the TCP/IP ports are above 1024 and not in use, you should be able to start whatever program/daemon that uses those ports and use them in pretty much whatever way you want. If you are getting only read or only write on those ports, that would be an application issue. (ports 1024 and below are only usable by the root user)

If the ports are already in use, you might pick different ports to use or see what program is using those ports. Some ports are reserved for applications/daemons and those are normally registered in /etc/services. To find out if a port is in use, you can use the command "netstat -an |grep LISTEN" This will show all ports that are listening for new connections.

-Aaron

If the TCP/IP ports are above 1024 and not in use, you should be able to start whatever program/daemon that uses those ports and use them in pretty much whatever way you want. If you are getting only read or only write on those ports, that would be an application issue. (ports 1024 and below are only usable by the root user)

If the ports are already in use, you might pick different ports to use or see what program is using those ports. Some ports are reserved for applications/daemons and those are normally registered in /etc/services. To find out if a port is in use, you can use the command "netstat -an |grep LISTEN" This will show all ports that are listening for new connections.

-Aaron

Hi Aaron, Thanks for the information.. How can I assigned or enable those ports in AIX? Please send me the steps. Thanks for your insights.

All ports are "enabled" It just comes down to what is currently in use and what is reserved for use. Even if a port is reserved by /etc/services there is nothing to stop an application or daemon from using that port unless it is already in use.

For example, FTP uses port 20 and 21 in both tcp and udp. These ports are reserved in /etc/services as seen below:
Code:
[heada@host:/u/heada] grep ftp /etc/services
ftp-data                20/tcp          # File Transfer [Default Data]
ftp-data                20/udp          # File Transfer [Default Data]
ftp                             21/tcp          # File Transfer [Control]
ftp                             21/udp          # File Transfer [Control]

That doesn't mean that an application that isn't FTP can't use those ports. Normally FTP isn't running all the time keeping a lock on those ports, it is started on demand by the inetd process.

If you have checked and the ports you would like to use are above 1024 and they're not in use, you should be able to just start your application and use those ports. There may be some configuration that needs to be done within the application in order to specify which ports to use.

-Aaron

-Aaron

Heada, If the port is available to be use in AIX how can I enable the port(s)?
I would like to know if you have the steps to enable the open port in AIX
Thanks for your reply.

All ports are enabled, there is only in use or not. If it is not in use and you would like to use it, start the application that uses that port. Thats all there is to it.

If I would like to use port 1580 for my TSM server, I configure TSM to use port 1580 and then I start the TSM server process.

-Aaron

As Aaron and I have mentioned, ports are available for use when an application is installed. It is a matter of setting up the configuration files of an application to use a port or particular ports.

As I have mentioned, when Tivoli Monitoring is installed, a preferred port or ports are opened for use.

Back