server-to-server questions

gernthefish

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

We have installed a new tape library and Linux server with the latest TSM version (5.3.2), and want to eventually implement server-to-server copy pools for redundancy. Is there any additional licensing required for server-to-server? Can we use server-to-server to copy existing data from our old AIX TSM server (running 5.1.5.0) to the new server?

Thanks in advance!

PREDATAR Control23

As far as I know there is no additional licensing needed but I highly recommend not using server to server copy pools. They tend to cause more headaches than they are worth.

PREDATAR Control23

Thanks for the reply Chad. Do you know of any other way we can move our existing data to the new server? The existing library is an IBM 3494 (3590 tapes), and the new one is a Dell ML6020 (LTO3 tapes). We would like to get rid of our old library as soon as possible. Server-to-server is the only way I can see doing this.

PREDATAR Control23

Two ways to do it would be to export/import server to server or create a library controller instance on the other server and have the old server connected to it then do fuls to new pools using the new library and allow the old tapes to expire off (we did this when we got our new library since its easier than import/export and migration). You could set it up so that you do fulls domain by domain not all at once.