Server dead, storage okay

DanGiles

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
This isn't exactly a DRM question per se, but it is about disaster recovery. I thought I would try it here before going after IBM support.

Let's say your server goes belly up, but the storage itself (database, logs, storage pools) is all fine. Is there a way to simply point to the database files and be done with it, or does one need to reformat and restore (and then have to audit all of the pools and containers). The log file directories are all given in the dsmserv.opt file, but the only way I know to tell TSM about the database containers are through DSMSERV FORMAT.

TSM server 8.1.0 on RHEL 6.9. (This would be the same as for TSM v7)

Only if it was that simple to just update the dsmserv.opt file to point to the database files.
The thing is that TSM keeps all its configuration data within the database.
If you deviate from the recovery process, don't bother to call IBM Support they will inform you what you are doing have never been tested and the results are unknown , and please follow the DR process on recovering the TSM Server.

When you run the dsmserv format it create the file called dsmserv.dsk.
Many years ago with TSM 5.5, on an AIX os, and this was a test system.
I try updating the paths in the dsmserv.dsk file to anther location and db/log file name, I was not able to start the TSM Server. When I put back the original path and file name, I was able to start the TSM Server.

There are numerous docs about DR on the TSM Server.
Here is a doc you may find of some interest.
Recovering a loss or damaged of Tivoli Storage Manager server (without DRM)

Good Luck,
Sias

The issue is that in addition to have access to the DB and logs, DB2 needs to be aware of the database. There's likely a way to install your OS, Spectrum Protect (which includes DB2) and from there, there are likely DB2 commands to create the database and catalog it from the existing database files. But I'm not a DBA, so no clue where you'd even start.

Back