Server 2 Server Environment - Restore without volhist

byteschubser

Newcomer
Reaction score
HI

Here are 2 servers: TSM1 and TSM2. TSM1 do dbbackup, migrating and backup stgpool to Server TSM2. Unfortunately, TSM1 died and I have no copy of volhist offsite. Is there any chance to restore TSM1?

Doing "q file" on TSM2 I can see a filespace named ADSM.SERVER. It's filespace type is ADSM_FS.

Thanks
byteschubser

TSM 5.x or 6.x?

If you are running TSM 5.x, you can restore without the volhist. Do you have the DB backup of TSM1 on TSM2? If you have, you can try bringing up TSM1 using this DB backup from TSM2.

Running TSM 6.x?

You are out of luck!

See this link for the explanation.

I am running V5.x and yes, db backups of TSM1 are located on TSM2. My problem is, without the volhist i do not know the virtual volume name. I try to work with "dsmserv restore db dev=TSM2" but I neet to supply a volume name...

I am running V5.x and yes, db backups of TSM1 are located on TSM2. My problem is, without the volhist i do not know the virtual volume name. I try to work with "dsmserv restore db dev=TSM2" but I neet to supply a volume name...

By the way, what platform are you running TSM on?

How are you backing up the DB from TSM1 to TSM2?

Do you use devclass=file? Or, are you 'copying' the DB from TSM1 to TSM2? In either case, copy over the lastest DB 'file/s' from TSM2 to TSM1 and do the restore.

See this link.

plattform is windows and for db backup i use device type = server

look:
DEFINE DEVCLASS TSM2 DEVT=SERVER SERVERNAME=TSM2
DEFINE SERVER TSM2 COMMMETHOD=TCPIP HLADDRESS=192.168.2.3 LLADDRESS=1500 NODENAME=TSM1 PASSWORD=XXX SERVERPASSWORD=XXX

later: backup db dev=TSM2 type=full

I have not done any backup of the DB this way.

What I can suggest is for you to look at server directory of TSM2 and try to find a DB backup file. Most likely, the file has a .dbb or something extension.

Addendum:

When you find the DB volumes, copy it over to the reconstructed TSM1 and restore from within.

Hi,

the volumes are stored in the storage pool volumes on the target server as archives under the nodename TSM1.
use (on the TSM2 server):
Code:
select archive_date,hl_name from archives where node_name='TSM1' and hl_name like '%DBB%'

Result should return all the DBBackup volumes - remove the ADSM/ prefix and you should get the volume names to put in the restore command and/or volhist file.

Hope it helps

Harry

Hi,

the volumes are stored in the storage pool volumes on the target server as archives under the nodename TSM1.
Code:
select archive_date,hl_name from archives where node_name='TSM1' and hl_name like '%DBB%'

Result should return all the DBBackup volumes - remove the ADSM/ prefix and you should get the volume names to put in the restore command and/or volhist file.

Hope it helps

Harry

Thanky Harry! Thats' the point. DB was restored successfuly. Restore of TSM2's local diskpool is ongoing.

Byteschubser

Hi,

Code:

Hope it helps

Harry

Even how long one had worked with TSM, there is something else to learn. Thanks Harry for answering this post.

Back