"SELECT VOLUME_NAME FROM CONTENTS ..." hangs on showing session infomation

Hsing1

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I want to query the vulumes of a file. Following command will hang on showing session info.

tsm: TSM_SERVER1>SELECT VOLUME_NAME FROM CONTENTS WHERE FILESPACE_NAME = '/hakkatv' AND FILE_NAME = '/HVideo/2008/2008575/G200857500140002.mxf'

Session established with server TSM_SERVER1: Windows
Server Version 6, Release 3, Level 3.0
Server date/time: 05/26/2017 07:41:01 Last access: 05/26/2017 07:33:34

After pressing ctrl-c, the result is shown

VOLUME_NAME: A01915L4

VOLUME_NAME: E02797L4

VOLUME_NAME: A01933L4

VOLUME_NAME: E02801L4

Is it a wrong usage?

The query is fairly simple and good.
Does it really hang or just not waiting long enough?
How long have you waited for the output?

Sometimes, a hang can be confused by poor performance. A hang never returns an output, poor performance can take several minutes to hours to return an output, although I would not expect hours for a simple query like this.

6.3.3 dates back in the dark ages, I'd recommend upgrading to a somewhat current level: 7.1.7.200 or 8.1.1 just to make sure you are not dealing with a known issue.

The query is fairly simple and good.
Does it really hang or just not waiting long enough?
How long have you waited for the output?

Sometimes, a hang can be confused by poor performance. A hang never returns an output, poor performance can take several minutes to hours to return an output, although I would not expect hours for a simple query like this.

6.3.3 dates back in the dark ages, I'd recommend upgrading to a somewhat current level: 7.1.7.200 or 8.1.1 just to make sure you are not dealing with a known issue.

It did hang for several days until I press ctrl-c.
If I try with 'select * from volumes where volume_name = 'A00008L4', it return instantly.

It did hang for several days until I press ctrl-c.
If I try with 'select * from volumes where volume_name = 'A00008L4', it return instantly.
Maybe it's not the server hanging, but dsmadmc.

My recommendation stands for now, upgrade to a current server and client versions. The client also because that's what dsmadmc comes with.

Back