San Discovery On Tsm

sudheer_kb

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I would like to know your opinion on SAN DISCOVERY on TSM where you are using ACSLS library and T9940B (mt device) and also it is SAN zoned in a way that each fiber adapter can see all the drives.

My question is if you have more than one 'mt' devices for each drive how the SAN DISCOVERY works does.

I heard that if you have more than one device for same drive then SAN DISCOVERY is confused and it not work at all , is it true ?

Please let me know you guys suggestion and advise

Hi,

We are in this configuration...
For a TSM server, we have 4 drives in SAN attachment for 2 FC.
So, on the AIX server there is 8 'mt'.

It works fine for us : it can modify in auto any serial number or other...

CedBer

Hi
Thanks, that is really great news because we have 52 STK T9940B fiber drives if this works then we don't need to think of having some script to update the path defination in case of problem with bad host fiber adapter.
we have 4 fcs adapater and zoned all the 52 drives,each drive have 4 no. of 'mt' devices.
This is what I got from my friend. I don't know this is only when you have 'rmt's and 'mt' s for same drive.
when we use SAN discovery for ACSLS drive, which basically uses the tsm devices (mt devices) we should delete all the rmt device definition otherwise it would get confused whether to assign corresponding ‘rmt’ or ‘mt’ .
Eventually it will log error messages in act log i.e. with ANR9761E

Explanation: The drive's new path can not be updated because we detect a
different device type compared to the Database using this new path. The
problem may be the new path has an incorrect format for the device driver.

Last edited:
My personal experience with san discovery is san discovery is not very reliable...after adding a new set of 3592J2 drives in 3584...I had to go through same old fashion way...remove all the pervious define drives and redefine them... I would suggest, keep the script just in case....

Back