S3 cloud container with TSM

kagrahar

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Has anybody found success with configuring AWS or cleversafe S3 to work with TSM? I am trying to configure on object store as cloud container using S3. TSM version 7.1.5 on Windows 2012R2

PREDATAR Control23

I was recently able to set up TSM to back up to an AWS S3 storage gateway. We are still testing, but so far, backups are about 3x slower than going to local disk. Restores are about 2x slower.

PREDATAR Control23

I was recently able to set up TSM to back up to an AWS S3 storage gateway. We are still testing, but so far, backups are about 3x slower than going to local disk. Restores are about 2x slower.

Test restores - there are reported issues with restore speeds. Test with big files and not small ones.

By the way - IBM has confirmed that there are restore issues. You may want to forgo Cloud solutions until later TSM versions have been announced (later than 7.1.6).

Last edited:
PREDATAR Control23

We are currently testing client backups to a cloud container pool after installing v7.1.7 on the server. Still slow initially, but are seeing some improvements after setting up a "cloud cache" (or hybrid cloud) per IBM recommendations. We are still testing this, but it may actually be usable.

Of course, still trying to figure out how to get a copy of the TSMDB in the cloud. The only way I can think of is by using an AWS storage gateway. Any other thoughts?

PREDATAR Control23

Set up a Cleversafe vault template to quickly create vaults with your preferred settings. After you create a vault template, use the credentials from your Cleversafe user account to configure the storage pools with the Operations Center or the DEFINE STGPOOL command. Tivoli® Storage Manager uses the Simple Storage Service (S3) protocol to communicate with Cleversafe.

PREDATAR Control23

We are currently testing client backups to a cloud container pool after installing v7.1.7 on the server. Still slow initially, but are seeing some improvements after setting up a "cloud cache" (or hybrid cloud) per IBM recommendations. We are still testing this, but it may actually be usable.

Of course, still trying to figure out how to get a copy of the TSMDB in the cloud. The only way I can think of is by using an AWS storage gateway. Any other thoughts?

You really want to store your TSM DB to a public cloud? Being a Security professional, I frown at this.

Personally, I would not do this.

PREDATAR Control23

Great deal of time has passed now since this the S3 container support was made available. Has anyone got this working in production cross geographically distributed locations with acceptable ingest or restore rates?

PREDATAR Control23

Is anyone using cleversafe/tsm ? we are looking into and I would like to hear some real life stories