Root only needed for Admin access and not operators.

etchingsj

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
We have some offshore guys able to access root on the Unix servers.I don't see where they need this access and wanted to provide an easy way for them to perform their daily routines without this access.
For windows should I just give them opt files on their management machines and have them call the specific opt file in the dsmadmc command?
Is that the best way to do this?

TIA

Root capabilities are required to be an efficient TSM Admin for UNIX servers. Notice I said capabilities. Most companies setup sudo so no one is running directly as root and the user can be tracked. If all they need is administrative access to just TSM then why not give them user access to a UNIX/Linux box and have build them a simple TSM server menu (If there are more than one TSM servers) and let them access from that one server.

Here's a sample shell script menu (The formatting is screwed up when pasted here):

#set -x
CONTINUE="true"
clear
echo ""
echo "Enter your TSM Admin ID: \c"
read TSMID
clear
while [ "${CONTINUE}" = "true" ]
do
/usr/bin/clear
print " "
print " "
/usr/bin/clear
echo " "
echo " "
echo " ###########################################################################"
echo " # #"
echo " # TSM Server MENU #"
echo " # #"
echo " ###########################################################################"
echo " ---------------------------- TSM Servers ----------------------------------"
echo " 1) PRDTSM1 2) PRDTSM2 "
echo " 3) PRDTSM3 4) PRDTSM4 "
echo " 5) PRDTSM5 6) PRDTSM6 "
echo " ---------------------------------------------------------------------------"
echo " X/x)Cross Server Command O/o)Cross Server to Out file "
echo ""
echo " Q/q) RETURN TO OS "
echo ""
echo ""
echo " Selection: \c"
read menu
echo ""
case $menu
in
1)
clear
dsmadmc -id=$TSMID -servern=prdtsm1
;;
2)
clear
dsmadmc -id=$TSMID -servern=prdtsm2
;;
3)
clear
dsmadmc -id=$TSMID -servern=prdtsm3
;;
4)
clear
dsmadmc -id=$TSMID -servern=prdtsm4
;;
5)
clear
dsmadmc -id=$TSMID -servern=prdtsm5
;;
6)
clear
dsmadmc -id=$TSMID -servern=prdtsm6
;;
[Xx])
clear
/home/user/qcpuf50e/xserver.cmd
sleep 5
;;
[Oo])
clear
/home/user/qcpuf50e/xserver-out.cmd
;;
[qQ])
clear
exit
;;
*)
#/usr/bin/clear
;;
esac
echo ""
echo ""
done

Thanks!
Awesome.
At this point until I get a feel for the skill sets of the offshore resources I will most likely have them use the DSMADMC from their stations with multiple option files to select.
This removes the shell access request from the equation.
Possibly just allow shell access for the L3-L4 support engineers.

Back