Rollforward from last database restore?

nandystam

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi folks

If i am setting up a DR server instance of TSM on another physical server, is it possible to restore the last full backup from tape, and then rollforward to the current point in time using the mirrored log volume?

We have our logs (primary and mirror) on two SAN LUNs hosted by two different disk storage systems that are in two separate physical locations.

On the DR server, i've exploded the recovery plan file - if I use the exploded files to create my devcnfg.out, volhist.out and dsmserv.opt, and then mount the LUN containing the mirror log, how does TSM know to roll forward after the database is restored from tape (assuming I've already created and formatted space for the DB restoration) ?

Do I have to create/format space for the log file in the same path as original mirror log location, and then mount the LUN on top of it?

Do I have to hack at the dsmserv.dsk file and add the path containing the mounted mirror log?

Do I restore the DB, start in the foreground (disabling scheduled tasks, migration and expiration) and then issue command(s) to roll the DB forward?

Is what I'm even asking possible? I logged a call with IBM and they didn't seem 100% sure it was. It did make me wonder what the point of mirrored logs would be if you can't use them in the process of DB recovery?

Back