RMAN retention and networker

lapfrank

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have multiple RMAN backups running using NMDA 1.2 on Networker.
In networker itself, the retention is set to 4 weeks. Most RMAN backups do expire after 4 weeks.
On the RMAN side, the DBAs are deleting them (delete obsolete noprompt recovery window of ...) after 7 days.

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to let RMAN actually "delete" those files from Networker after 7 days.
In a way, I want RMAN to manage the retention itself and not networker, kinda of like the 1,0,0,0 copy group setting in TSM.

I'm new to Networker and I'm not sure what's the best practice for RMAN.

Now what happens is that the DBAs do a crosscheck backup every day right before a delete obsolete. The crosscheck backup "discovers" the last 4 weeks of backups from networker and inserts them back in the catalog/control file. Right after that, they delete them again with a retention of 7 days!

Any thoughts on how to manage RMAN retention with networker ? Can RMAN "flag" or "delete" files from the networker catalog, like it can deactivate files in TSM ?

Thanks!

RMAN has no control on NetWorker, the best i can suggest is you have the same retention set for both RMAN and NetWorker for the respective machine.

Back