retrieve files from archive, then update to latest date with restore ?? Possible??

itdrew

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
We are planning on performing weekly archives of one of our fileshare servers for long term offsite storage. Currently we only perform daily incrementals on this server. If we restore the server up to the archive, how can we then update the data on the server using our normal backups?

In other words, if a retrieval brings us up to last Saturday, how can we update the files to say, Tuesday using the incremental backups? There are millions of files on this server.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks.

TSM has an image/incremental option where you can tell an image restore under options to do an "image plus incremental directories"

I am doing the same as you except I am using backupsets instead of archives, I would restore the backupset then run a restore I thought I could tell it to overwrite only if file is newer though I do not see this option?????

am i missing something

I see the image/incremental option in the "Restore Options" panel on the GUI but I don't think this will do the trick.

Where oh where is the "Restore files only if newer option"? That seems like basic functi9onality doesn't it?

Thanks Cliff, that did it! I took a look at the link you posted and it says for use on all UNIX clients, and I am on Windows. You also said use ifnewer with replace. So I figured, if it available from the command line on Unix, then there is a decent shot at it being available in the Windows GUI.

If you select a file to restore, then hit the option button, then under the drop down menu for “Select Action for Files that Already Exist”, you see “Replace”. Once you hit that, then “Replace only if newer” lights up and you can select it.

I know it seems so simple, but the reality is I never noticed it before and didn’t even see it when I was looking for it.

Thanks again Cliff,

Drew

My guess is that each object (files/directories) must be actually processed by inspecting the date of each object, comparing the date to the active version on the TSM server, then deciding if the file should be replaced or not. I can see this taking a good deal of time if you have a huge amount of files on the server. In other words just because a file is on the server already, and it is the same exact copy as the active version stored in TSM, that doesn’t mean that the file doesn’t get inspected.

Back