Restoring TSM DB ver. 7.1.X on AIX

dojabergen

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi,
We are running TSMDB backup twice a day, one full backup at 09:00 AM to tape in library-01 and one snapshot at 03:pm to tape in library-02 in a remote site.
We are not running incremental backup in between.
Our question is: Can we utilize the archive logs on top on the full backup in order to recover the most resent data?
Thank you in advance!

PREDATAR Control23

Yes you can, you can restore to any specific time you want, if you have the logs:

http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledg...v.reference/r_cmd_dsmserv_restore_db_pit.html

Tip: When you restore a V6 or later Tivoli Storage Manager server database to a specific point in time, the preferred method is to issue the DSMSERV REMOVE DB command before you issue the DSMSERV RESTORE DB command. This ensures that the system is in a clean state. The system drops and uncatalogs the database in the background. When you restore data to a specific point in time, all the required logs and the database image are retrieved from the backup media.

PREDATAR Control23

by the way - I think I would make both backups full and both of them to the remote site...of cause that depends on the speed of the backup:

SELECT Cast(START_TIME AS DATE) AS "Date", Cast(START_TIME AS TIME) AS "Start", (timestampdiff(2,end_time-start_time)/60) As "Minuts", Cast((BYTES/1048576) AS Decimal(9,2)) AS "DB MB", (BYTES/1048576)/timestampdiff(2,end_time-start_time) as "MB/sec" , SUCCESSFUL AS "Succ." FROM SUMMARY WHERE activity='FULL_DBBACKUP' AND START_TIME>=(CURRENT_TIMESTAMP-25 days) order by 1

PREDATAR Control23

..or since you are doing incremental and full:

SELECT Cast(START_TIME AS DATE) AS "Date", Cast(START_TIME AS TIME) AS "Start", (timestampdiff(2,end_time-start_time)/60) As "Minuts", Cast((BYTES/1048576) AS Decimal(9,2)) AS "DB MB", (BYTES/1048576)/timestampdiff(2,end_time-start_time) as "MB/sec" , SUCCESSFUL AS "Succ." FROM SUMMARY WHERE activity like '%DBBACKUP' AND START_TIME>=(CURRENT_TIMESTAMP-25 days) order by 1

PREDATAR Control23

Hi Nenifled,

Thank you for responding, but I think we are on a wrong track.
You wrote:
"Yes you can, you can restore to any specific time you want, if you have the logs:"
Yes, I have the archive logs, but they are not archived in TSM, but are still in the /tsmarchivelog area.

The data we want to put on the restored full TSM are the archivelogs,
I do not think it is possible to do a rollforward of these archive files in TSM, but maybe DB2. But then I think this is not an official way og doing recovery. Maybe we had to perform incr. backups in between the full TSMDB backup.
Thanks for any replies.