Restoring from export tape to same server?

bjorn84

Newcomer
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hello,

Pretty new to the TSM so I need a little guidance here. I have taken over from a previous TSM guy.

Im trying to restore a file older than our retention policy. Every week, we run an export on every node to tape with the following command
export node * filedata=allactive devclass=ltotape scratch=yes​
We then move the physical tapes to another location due to policies. We need to do an export every week due to legal requirements. I also thought that this could be a method of "longtime retention"..?

I have googled myself into almost crying because everything points to that this is not possible. First I thought I could "mount" the tapes needed and just recover the file. Note, I want to restore to the same TSM server.

Is this even possible? I don't want to setup a new TSM server with a library to do a DR.

* If I do a "import node", will that overwrite my existing backupdata on that node?
* If no - Is it possible to pause and change the active nodename and then do a "import node"?

Very thankful for answers!

Regards
Bjoern

PREDATAR Control23

You will have to check out the IMPORT NODE command but I think in newer versions of TSM there is a MERGEFilespace. Do a help on it and verify that this is what you need. I think there is also a PREVIEW=YES available for that command.

PREDATAR Control23

You will have to check out the IMPORT NODE command but I think in newer versions of TSM there is a MERGEFilespace. Do a help on it and verify that this is what you need. I think there is also a PREVIEW=YES available for that command.
Thank you for your awnser Rallingham!

I have checked that command out, but from what I have understood, that command should be used for example if I accidentally deleted a node completely?

Just to clarify, I only want to do a client file restore on one specific file from an older date located on export tape. Also forgot to mention that I'm running 6.3.

PREDATAR Control23

export node can be used to copy data to LTO or to another server. You need to do 'import node' with mergefilespaces=no. Note that the import node command can take some time to finish.

PREDATAR Control23

If you don't want to mix the old and new data, you can do this:
  1. disable expiration
  2. rename current node to NODE-GOOD
  3. import the node
  4. rename the imported node to NODE-IMPORTED
  5. rename the original NODE-GOOD back to its original name
  6. for the restore, of the old data, connect to NODE-IMPORTED
  7. delete the filespaces and the node "NODE-IMPORTED" when done
  8. re-enable expiration
If you don't disable expiration, the imported data that is passed the retention will be expired, so you are back to where you are now.

PREDATAR Control23

If you don't want to mix the old and new data, you can do this:
  1. disable expiration
  2. rename current node to NODE-GOOD
  3. import the node
  4. rename the imported node to NODE-IMPORTED
  5. rename the original NODE-GOOD back to its original name
  6. for the restore, of the old data, connect to NODE-IMPORTED
  7. delete the filespaces and the node "NODE-IMPORTED" when done
  8. re-enable expiration
If you don't disable expiration, the imported data that is passed the retention will be expired, so you are back to where you are now.

Thank you so much for the pointers! Worked like a charm.

For future reference, would it be possible to do something like this when importing the node
IMport Node NODENAME VOLumenames=volname,volname FILESpace=\\NODESERVER\e$ FILEData=ALL devclass=LTOTAPE ?

Importing 1.4.TB felt a little dumb when only one file was needed from e$.

/Bjoern