restoring files from old tsm server

danield

Newcomer
Reaction score
We upgraded our library from lto5 to 6 two years ago, and now we need to restore data from one of those older lto5 tapes. We trashed our older tivoli server at the same time, but keep the databases and everything. Now we need to get a file off one of those older tapes.

We have a new system up and running working with this old setup. The database has been upgraded, I can find the files and map it to a tape. The tapes are recognized in the old environment. When I ask for a restore, it loads the correct tape into a drive (which is now lto6).

However, I never get my data restored. The tapes spin in the drive for a while and then the process fails. Am I missing anything?

...We have a new system up and running working with this old setup. ...
Was the date and time on the os rolled back 2 years or did we kept current date and time?

Was the data backed up or archived?

Via the TSM Client GUI, do you see the file(s) that you want to restore/retrieve?

What are the messages in the dsmerror.log?

Since the correct LTO6 media is mounted, what are the messages in the TSM Server actlog when the restore/retrieve was done?

Are there any error message on the os system that is hosting the TSM Server?

Good Luck,
Sias

I figured this out. The old config was before we switched to lto6 drives and tapes. Now that we were running lto6, they where not set correctly within tsm, so it would not read the LTO5 tape. I removed the drives (along with their paths) and re-added them and then it worked like a champ.

Back