Restoring (almost) cross-platform

selfgov2000

Newcomer
Reaction score
I was backing up to our server 2003 R2 with Arcserve 11.1, and my XP Pro laptop was stolen. I am now trying to get recovered to a new laptop with Vista Ultimate. Such Fun! :eek:

The only way I've been able to get anything is to RDP into the server and restore incrementally using the server explorer. The client server explorer seems to be able to find stuff, but not restore it.

My backup is 25gb, to the going is very slow. I was told by tech support that I needed to upgrade to r11.5, but the guy who set r11.1 up was told that r11.5 uses a different database structure. I am right now getting my backup folder copied from the server to another drive, so I have that secured. What happens to my backup (and the other people's backups) when I upgrade to r11.5?

Will I need to create new clients for everyone, even the ones not on Vista?

Is there some documentation somewhere that addresses these issues?

Thanks,
Dave

Both 11.1 & 11.5 have the same options for the database. It is either the default VDLB or MS SQL with both versions, so that is not a problem.

Nothing happens to the old backups they are just fine and can still be restored. When upgrading all the old stuff is retained. There are new client agents to be installed on the target systems.

documentation is on the CD in the docs directory and online at support.ca.com under the BrightStor ARCserve Backup product page.

Back