Restore TSM Server on DRP Site on different Hadware (Library with only One Drive)

FBatista69

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
vportugalworld.wordpress.com
Hi guys,

I need some guidance in order to accomplish a TSM Server 5.5 restore on DRP Site in different hardware. I Have DB being copied to the DRP Server, devconfig and Volhist. Both environments are configured with the same TSM server version, same Operating System (Windows) but the tape libraries are different, i have a TS3100 with 2 LTO 5 Drives on Production and a TS3200 with One LTO 5 Drive on DRP.

The plan is to restore a SAP Server in the DRP Site, but for that i need to restore TSM database and only then go for the server.

After restoring the database, setting TSM devices, what would be my next steps?
Can i restore directly from offsite tapes?
Do i need to restore tape pool first? How can i do this with only one drive? Is it possible?

Please feel free to ask for some information that you consider relevant, i would be more much appreciated for any help.

Best regards

Francisco Batista

Already copied DSMSERV VOLHIST and DEVCONFIG to the drp machine and have the same TSM and components version to start the instalation.

Thanks for your reply, i will try to follow the procedure today and will let you know how it goes. Thanks for putting me in the right track.

Talk to you soon.

Thanks a lot

This help me alot when I did my first DR test with TSM 5.5. on windows.

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg246844.html

If you use the DRM when preparing your vault, look at the "planexpl.vbs" in the \Program file\tivoli\TSM\server

there is a good script with a little bit of tweeking that can help you do a DR test. But the Redbook help me alot.

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies, yesterday finally i managed to teste the restore after having everything set up to go.
I spent some time reading the Disaster Recovery redbook, it was very helpfull, but still have some doubts, specially after trying the restoration yesterday night.
On the primary TSM system i ran the prepare command, copied devconfig, volhist, dsmserv.dsk and opt, moved all the DRMedia to the disaster site.
On the restore server, i configured with the same disk structure, installed TSM and all components (ISC, AC, Baclient) on the same paths as the primary system.
Now where i think i went wrong :( ...
I have run the initialization wizards before running the PRIMARY.VOLUMES.REPLACEMENT.CREATE.CMD script (generated after exploding the DRMPlan).
Result: After running the script i ended with a TSM server not able to start, and i saw some messages saying that some files were in use.

Should i just install TSM and all the components and not initialize in order to run the script?

Should the devconfig, volhist, be copied to someplace on the new server? Per my understanding, all the files are reconstructed automatically by the DRM scripts.

Can someone please guide me through this process, i'm not a guy that asks for help on the first problems, but need to move on and i confess this is my first DRM recovery.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

Francisco Batista

Just one more update....

Just tried to run the PRIMARY.VOLUMES.REPLACEMENT.CREATE.CMD without initializing the TSM Server, probably not new to you guys, but no TSM server started, no service installed on Windows.

This is the end of the script output:

ANR0366I Database format in progress; 7980 megabytes of 8000 processed.
ANR0366I Database format in progress; 7984 megabytes of 8000 processed.
ANR0366I Database format in progress; 7988 megabytes of 8000 processed.
ANR0366I Database format in progress; 7992 megabytes of 8000 processed.
ANR0366I Database format in progress; 7996 megabytes of 8000 processed.
ANR0367I Database format completed.
ANR0353I Recovery log analysis pass in progress.
ANR0354I Recovery log redo pass in progress.
ANR0355I Recovery log undo pass in progress.
ANR0352I Transaction recovery complete.
ANR0992I Server installation complete.
ANR0900I Processing options file E:\program files\tivoli\tsm\server1\dsmserv.o-
pt.
ANR7800I DSMSERV generated at 15:32:37 on Jan 19 2011.
Tivoli Storage Manager for Windows
Version 5, Release 5, Level 5.2
Licensed Materials - Property of IBM
(C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1990, 2009.
All rights reserved.
U.S. Government Users Restricted Rights - Use, duplication or disclosure
restricted by GSA ADP Schedule Contract with IBM Corporation.
ANR4726I The ICC support module has been loaded.
ANR8200I TCP/IP Version 4 driver ready for connection with clients on port
ANR0200I Recovery log assigned capacity is 2000 megabytes.
ANR0201I Database assigned capacity is 8000 megabytes.
ANR4600I Processing volume history file E:\PROGRAM FILES\TIVOLI\TSM\SERVER1\VO-
LHIST.OUT.
ANR8840E Unable to open device LB2.1.0.1 with file handle 2.
ANR8418E DEFINE PATH: An I/O error occurred while accessing library LB2.1.0.2.
ANR0906I Line No. : 18
ANR0907I Statement : DEFINE PATH TSM LB2.1.0.2 SRCTYPE=SERVER
DESTTYPE=LIBRARY DEVICE=LB2.1.0.1 ONLINE=YES
ANR3239E Error 262 while creating device class DBBACKUP.
ANR1794W TSM SAN discovery is disabled by options.
Wait for the server to start. Ensure that the Administrative command
line client option file is set up to communicate with this server, then
press enter to continue recovery script execution.
Press any key to continue . . .
E:\DRM_FILES\RECPLAN>

ANR8840E Unable to open device LB2.1.0.1 with file handle 2

Does the disaster recovery have the library on device LB2.1.0.1?
Check in the device manager on which address you see the library and adjust the devconfig file if it is different then on the original server.
Same goes for the paths of the drives.

Guys,

Just for an update and to thank you for the input.

I managed to start TSM Server on the recovery machine, in fact like some of you suggested, i had a problem with the stupide library, and i managed to get throught that by defining a manual library.

Well I managed to restore files from copypool tapes to the machine that should be restored (SAP Server). Everything was running fine, today i installed the TDP for SAP R3 for Oracle, i managed to get it communicating and authenticating with the TSM Server but when i try to restore the database files (no matter some tablesapce or the entire database) i can't get anything from TSM.

Last small step for finishing the recovery, and the most important, but backup utility reports no files found!!!!! I have a guy from SAP working with me on this and i says this is not SAP, it leaves me with the problem with my hands.

Does anyone has ever restored an SAP system while testing DRP?

Back