restore TSM database into new instance on existing TSM server

leoncuprar

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi

Our current environment is as follows

UK - TSM 6.3.2 server on AIX acting as library manager for a 5.5 instance but also serving client nodes as well.

Germany - TSM 6.3.2 TSM instance (library client) using DRM sending tapes offsite.

What I want to do is restore the TSM database from Germany onto the TSM server in the UK and bring it up as a second instance on the same server becoming a library client of the UK database. Then I can go through the usual steps of making the offsite tapes available for restore purposes.

Is there a document somewhere which points me in the right direction for restoring a database but as a second instance on an AIX server already running TSM ?

I presume I'll just need to setup new directory structures for db/logs and new user id and instance home directory, edit devconf and define the new server on the library manager. Also need to make sure they are using different ports. Then "dsmserv restore db -i <new instance home directory> -u <new user id>"

Or my other option could be to create a new lpar and keep this database from Germany separate completely from the production UK TSM instance.

Any pointers or tips appreciated

Two points:

First point:

If you have enough resources on the existing TSM server in UK, I would go with the second instance. The steps you mentioned in creating the second instance is up to par. There is no difference in the steps for creating the first instance except making sure that the new instance has a different port and name, the database, actlog, arch and other disk space are the same for the instance you will need to restore the DB and environment from. See this link.

Second point:

On creating a second LPAR, as long as the resources DOES NOT pass or share through the Hypervisor, I would definitely go for this. Remember that TSM is I/O intensive and passing resources through the Hypervisor limits its ability to quick I/O access. Having said that, a load study may prove otherwise. I specifically like to have separate servers for TSM simply because the instances are not dependent on some other.

Back