Restore System Objects to Win2K Server

jade

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I am working on testing a restore of a Win2K server. I read in the Redbook that the System Objects will only restore to the original location. I noted: "Tivoli Storage Manager 4.1.2 cannot restore system objects to locations other than their original locations."

I am running TSM server 5.1 and client 5.1.5:

1) Can I restore System Objects with these versions to different locations?

2) If the restore only goes to the original location is the path hardcoded? example: \winnt\......... or \%systemroot%\ ?

I have two boot directories \winnt and \winback. To test the recovery process I

booted off \winnt, did a backup of the the systemobjects and archived the data. I set the default boot to winback and rebooted. The system came up on winback. I installed the TSM client and then blew away files in \winnt. Then I started the restore process. First I retrieved the archived data, then I restored the system objects. Then I rebooted the server. The server would not reboot. I cannot startup the system on either winback or winnt. Can anyone give me some advise? Thanks in advance!

Jackie

I believe you did it right, however this may not be a tivoli error. You will need to edit the boot.ini in edit and confirm the presence of the ntldr file to see that all is in order. Once you make the modifications to the boot.ini the server will boot to the correct partition.[email protected]

Back