Restore NDMP backup to a no-NAS location

Rukkot

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm setting up a new TSM server and I'm thinking of using NDMP as an archive solution for long retention copies of our files located in a NetApp device. For daily copies I prefer doing them at CIFS/NFS level due to their faster and easier recovery mechanism.

Considering that some of them may be kept for several months or years, I would prefer to store their data in a neutral format. I would like not depending on having a NetApp within the next years when someone could ask for an old copy. I'm pretty sure that recovering files/directories from a NDMP copy to a Linux or Windows share cannot be done, but let me know if someone here with more experience in NDMP backups has a solution for this or if it is absolutely impossible.

In any case, what do you use for long time retention copies of NAS devices? (backupsets?, archives?).

Thanks,

Hi all,

I'm setting up a new TSM server and I'm thinking of using NDMP as an archive solution for long retention copies of our files located in a NetApp device. For daily copies I prefer doing them at CIFS/NFS level due to their faster and easier recovery mechanism.

Considering that some of them may be kept for several months or years, I would prefer to store their data in a neutral format. I would like not depending on having a NetApp within the next years when someone could ask for an old copy. I'm pretty sure that recovering files/directories from a NDMP copy to a Linux or Windows share cannot be done, but let me know if someone here with more experience in NDMP backups has a solution for this or if it is absolutely impossible.

In any case, what do you use for long time retention copies of NAS devices? (backupsets?, archives?).

Thanks,

Simply putting it - staying away from NDMP.

I do file level backup/archive.

Simply putting it - staying away from NDMP.

I do file level backup/archive.

Thanks for your answer. I was thinking on performing monthly backups with NDMP (faster and they should last just for 1 year) and yearly copies with a backupset/archive solution (they last for several years).

In any case you confirmed me what I supposed.

Back