1. Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING) Click the link to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This message will disappear after you have made at least 12 posts. Thank you for your cooperation.

restore from LTO 3 tape in LTO 4 drive

Discussion in 'EMC NetWorker' started by disig, Apr 11, 2012.

1. disig

disig New Member

Linux/TSM admin
    Dear Friends,

I have a decommissioned environment which was running on Version: Sun StorageTek(TM) Enterprise Backup 7.4.5,REV=726 Network Edition/35 and using LTO 3 tapes. Now new environment is in LTO 4 and Version: Sun StorageTek(TM) Enterprise Backup 7.4.5,REV=726 Network Edition/85. Can I restore from a tape in which the backup was taken by a different server (Versions are same). Now I tried to restore a file from the old LTO 3 tape in new LTO4 library. I put the volume and scanned the volume. After mounting the volume it is showing like the following
    /dev/rmt/5cbn(J) LTO Ultrium-4 PTL111 mounted LTO Ultrium-4 tape PTL111 (write protected)
    But that tape is a LTO 3 tape. And MMINFO is not showing any details. Can I do restoration from this tapeā€¦. Please help

Thanks in advance,
    Vijo.

3. Hema

Hema Member

TSM Backup Consultant
    Is the tape write-protected? Can you ask your tape ops to check it?

4. disig

disig New Member

Linux/TSM admin
    Hi Hema,

I use that tape only for restoration. thats why I didn't look in to the write protected message. So far I did,
    1. checkin the LTO3 volume to LTO 4 library
    2. Deleted the volume
    nsrmm -d <volume name>
    3. load the volme without mount
    nsrjb -j <library name> -l -n -S <slot no> -f <Drive name>
    4. scanned the volume
    scanner -i <drive name>

After I mount the volume in to drive. But it was showing as LTO 4 volume and mmifo is not showing any data. Am I doing the right steps..??? Please advice how I can go forward.

Thanks,
    Vijo