Restore from another linux server ?

Sharon-Iscar

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi guys
We have 12 linux servers in our organization , our goal is to have 1 LINUX RESTORE SERVER into which we will restore files to.
in windows servers i know that i can modify the node name in th dsm.opt file and identify as another server from a diffrent one.
My question is , is it possible to do so with linux servers?

PREDATAR Control23

Hi guys
We have 12 linux servers in our organization , our goal is to have 1 LINUX RESTORE SERVER into which we will restore files to.
in windows servers i know that i can modify the node name in th dsm.opt file and identify as another server from a diffrent one.
My question is , is it possible to do so with linux servers?
To be sure, by server, you mean a Linux Server running a Spectrum Protect Client, not running a Spectrum Protect Server. If so, we call that a client and yes, you can do that by adding a server stanza in dsm.sys, then you connect to the client using:
dsmc -server={stanza name}

PREDATAR Control23

dsmc -virtualnodename=XXXX

PREDATAR Control23

To be sure, by server, you mean a Linux Server running a Spectrum Protect Client, not running a Spectrum Protect Server. If so, we call that a client and yes, you can do that by adding a server stanza in dsm.sys, then you connect to the client using:
dsmc -server={stanza name}
Perfect. Thanks

PREDATAR Control23

Hi,
I personnally won't advise to change the node name in the dsm.opt file. You'd better look at the decicated functionalities that rely on -fromnode, -virtualnodename ou -asnode options. In your case, I'll prefer the -fromnode option.

On each node, run the following command : dsmc set access backup "*" thenodenameofyourrestoreserver
This will allow your restore server to restore data from the node where the "set access" command has been run.

Then, in order to restore, run the fllowing command : dsmc restore -fromnode=thenodenameoftheclientyouwanttorestorefrom

Note : This will also work with the dsm.exe/dsmj GUI. Look at "Node Access List" and "Restore from Another Node".

PREDATAR Control23

Even though the option offered here worked.
I will try your option for sure. its sounds amazing.
Thanks A million!