restore Directory-container storage pools problem?

justmaxis

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi,
If my directory-container stgpool crash, how do I restore my stgpool?

Do I use repair stgpool to recovery?

But my container-copy stgpool have 20TB data,

when I repair , new directory-container stgpool need 20TB?

PREDATAR Control23

If my directory-container stgpool crash, how do I restore my stgpool?

Do I use repair stgpool to recovery?

Yes, but there's a few more steps. The full procedure is documented in the manual:

when I repair , new directory-container stgpool need 20TB?
You would need more than 20 TB, because it's recommended to leave at least 20% free space in a directory container pool so that new backups can be stored and also space reclaimed with move containers, neither of these things can happen if you just configure the bare minimum. You also end up with an uneven pool and poor performance is you build it the strict minimum and then can adding directories later one at a time. It's best to configure it with sufficient directories on day 1.

Sounds like you are building a new storage container storage pool. Might be worthwhile to double-check the Blueprint so that you can optimally configure your storage pool. Like spread across a sufficient number of filesystems.

PREDATAR Control23

thanks reply ,
I mean my backup data in my container storage pool use 1TB,but in my protect pool(tape) 20TB
I know it's because container storage pool use deduplication
so, when I restore my container storage pool from protect pool(tape)
I need 20TB avalible space on my new container storage pool
or may be only need 2TB avalible space on my new container storage pool?

PREDATAR Control23

The data doesn't get rehydrated in the container-copy-storage-pool. So if your original directory container pool was 1 TB in size, the new one can be the same size. But, I would advise on making it larger with sufficient directories/filesystems as per my previous post to be able to handle growth smoothly. Directory container pools don't behave well when adding new directories at a later date because all the I/O is concentrated on one or two new directories that are empty, so it affects performance. It works better when it can spread the I/O evenly across multiple filesystems, so make is as big as you think you will need for the next 3 to 5 years.

I'm not sure why your container-copy-storage-pool is 20 TB? Are you counting the space on all the tapes?

PREDATAR Control23

If you could show us the output of q stg <stg_pool> f=d for your copy and your main container pool, that would be helpful. Along with what version of TSM you are running. And your protect stg command.

I can't help but wonder, didn't the higher versions of V8 offer a way to backup a container storage pool to uncompressed tape?

I also am wondering perhaps reclamation for the tape pool isn't running, or isn't running long enough, or you have an insanly high reuse delay on tape volumes.
Lets check that:
In the q stg <copy pool name> f=d, look for a setting called: Reclamation Threshold.